Dual Rates (d/r) & Exponential (expo) Explained

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Dual Rates (d/r) & Exponential (expo) Explained

Hey everyone. There is information out there about D/R and Expo that is just flat out WRONG! I know a few that call themselves "Guru's" that have it totally wrong. Well, I want to help make it right. In the video below, you will hear, and see me explain how D/R and Expo work, and why you should use it. I draw out, and explain how positive (+) and negative Expo affect the servos, and why you don't want to use negative in the Spektrum DX6i. I'm sure other Transmitters are like this one, but I can only assure you that it will work on the DX6i. So, sit back and do some learnin' :wink:

I'm updating this article with some new pictures from the DX8. I had a question on youtube on this video asking what the expo would look like at 25%, 50%, and 75%. Well below is the pictures to show exactly what this will look like. This is for the aileron and the stick starts in the center. As you can see, the more expo you have, the less movement the servo will have in the beginning stick throws. But at the end of the stick throws it gets exponentially faster.

View attachment 3844View attachment 3845View attachment 3846View attachment 3847View attachment 3848

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

jac_2012

excellent video
I encourage people to start flying with dual rates to 60
aile and elev in for stationary and stuff
and after having some fingers exchange of 60 to 70
and even exponential 80 with about 30
regards

Graham Lawrie

As i am new to the hobby all your videos are great. This one really helps with what DR/Expo are. thank you. Graham

Tony

Staff member
Its my pleasure Graham. Give me some time and I should have some new videos to improve some of the old videos.

Tony

Staff member
I just updated this article with some new pictures. Gives a better visual of what is going on as you add expo.

Derek

Nicely worded, Tony! Because of this video, I believe that I have an even better grasp of Dual Rates as well as Expo. I was pretty sure that I knew what they both were and now I am more confident that I can make changes to both the DR and Expo to suit my flying.

Awesome video!!!

I love graphs.....dont you??? lol

Tony

Staff member
Give me some time and I will be remaking a LOT of my videos to help clear some things up. Most of the older videos are really boring with a lot of audio-less spots. I want to make them again with some better video and better explanations. And yes, I love the graph on the DX8. Makes it much easier to explain stuff.

Excalibur2216

Great video Tony i'm definantly gonna have to play around with my d/r and Expo settings on my dx6i i always thought there were for making your stick movements more aggressive for 3d flight im glad i watched ur video

murankar

Staff member
Actually if you think about it the expo can make the stick more aggressive. Which is something you don't want.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, if you go into the negative, it will be more aggressive, into the positive, it will be more tame. Just let us know if you need any help with anything.

Lord Vader

Very interesting. I usually just reduce my rates in the channel setup on my FlySky 9x and 9XR. I have always wanted to try expo.

Tony

Staff member
Expo is great when you need full throws, but need to soften the sticks for precision flight.

I am unable to watch the video...it gives me a message stating: HumanPlow22, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Tony

Staff member
I found that a permission had been changed for that section. Everything should be okay now. Again, i apologize for the issue. thanks for letting me know about it! Let me know if you can access the page now, you should be able to.

Gerald

Thanks for this video, I really had no knowlage of what that stuff was or did! Now it makes sense. I will definatly use D/R and expo on my trainer.

Top Bottom