Boats Dx6i setup

Richyrich

Hi all

I'm putting a Riviera 80 together which has sat in its box for the last 9 years, using a 540 motor and viper speed controller etc. I want to use my dx6i which I have my quads and helicopters on so would be interested in hearing people thoughts and setup suggestions etc.

Prior to this I have no experience of boats so as always any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

EyeStation

The DX6i is meant to be an "Air Controller" and not specifically set up for surface vehicles.
I think you might be able to still use it with a 4-6 channel receiver though.
Never really looked into boats or their controls, so Eye am not the best to give advise.
Should be interesting to hear what others have to say about it.

Slobberdog

The DX6i is meant to be an "Air Controller" and not specifically set up for surface vehicles.
I think you might be able to still use it with a 4-6 channel receiver though.
Never really looked into boats or their controls, so Eye am not the best to give advise.
Should be interesting to hear what others have to say about it.

As eyestation said the dx6i is not a ground rc tx, I doubt if you would get anyone checking but you would probably be better off getting the proper tx and receiver for the job,

although I don't know what the diff would be on a 2.4 ghz ground and air units,

old used to be 27mhz and 40mhz for ground and 35mhz for air, in the UK that is. don't know what diff is now with 2.4 units

Derek

Actually, You would have no issues using your DX6i for a boat. Simply plug your ESC into your throttle port on the receiver and plug the rudder servo into your aileron port on the receiver. I've used my DX8 for control to a scratch build "trike" that I made for my wife and I used my DX8 to control my "Snow Skidder". Both were ground vehicles. Your boat would be no different.

However...you are talking about being on water. Water and electronics do not play well together. I'd try to put some extra thought into waterproofing the electronics.

Is this what you are talking about:

Riviera.jpg

So it's probably not going to be real "speedy"??? As long as you get the cg properly set, I think you'll be just fine and you'll be a happy boater!!!

There is one catch.....when you are done.....we need to see pictures and video of the boat, lol...Good luck buddy and Happy Boating!

Riviera.jpg

Richyrich

Hi Derek

Many thanks for that, yes the picture is the same except it doesn't have the rear seats. To be honest I didn't expect it was going to be a fast boat, it was the looks that attracted me. Hopefully I should be able to upload photos in the next few days.

Once again, many thanks

Derek

Hey Richy! I just wanted to touch base with ya. How's the progress going on this boat?

Richyrich

Hi Derek

Just waiting on the receiver to be delivered - I decided to go for the spektrum marine receiver. Although having read about the orange ground receiver perhaps I should have gone for that.

Hopefully it should be ready for next weekend so hopefully I'll get a video uploaded just after.
Richard

murankar

Staff member
You made the right choice. Your dealing with water and electricity. Its better to go with something designed for this application.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom