Spektrum DX8 G2 ports Audio and Trainer

nacholibre

hi everybody,
to connect a DX8 G2 to the Real Flight 7,5 Interlink Controller, which port has to be used? I tried both, but sill cannot connect, very frustrating!
Thanks, very grateful for any help,

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:welcome1:nacholibre. Have you tried setting up a new model in your TX yet? I'm just throwing it out there.

nacholibre

thanks for your help D.O.G., but in the video it shows a standard DX8 with a single port in the back, my radio is a DX8 G2 with two ports in the back, marked Audio and Trainer, and to start with this is the beginning where to start from, I cannot connect, I had no problems with the whole set up, it's the connection my problem.

RandyDSok

If one port is labeled audio... that means it's clearly for sound. So that leaves the trainer plugin. Training ports on radios is how one radio is able to connect to another so an instructor can help a student. In fact, read your manual, if you don't have a manual, they are available on their website. The part you want to read up on is on using the training port and as DOG suggested, you want to start with a new model setup and then assign the channels as indicated in the manual. With that video having a slight difference in plugins available doesn't invalidate it, expecially when it's a minor difference between 2 different generational models. They typically aren't going to redesign the whole radio in most cases and there is always general info on setting up a training port that should help if you ignore the minor differences. I can't say for certain they setup identically but neither can you say they don't if you just dismiss it offhand because of a minor difference from the start.

An 1/8" ( aka 3.5mm ) plug is a very common plug in that is used for a lot things including as a power connection, as well as the example you have right in front of you with one being a training port and another audio. Just plugging stuff into ports because they look similar without reading about what they are for, will cause you trouble and may end up killing a product you have. In fact, there are a lot of different 1/8" audio ports even. Some are monophonic, some are stereo, some are stereo with a microphone. In addition, some use different length plugs that may be too long or short for a plug made for a different use. So read the manuals if you don't want to be disappointed, surprised by something or completely ruin a product you have bought.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

Completely forgot to make my other point/suggestion....

Just use the included Interlink Controller and forget about trying to use your current radio to control it. The only real advantage your radio has, is the feel of the sticks vs the Interlink ( which aren't bad by any means ). The effort you will put into setting up your radio to control with... is offset by it's ( your radio ) lack of the menu and restart options found on the Interlink controller. That means you'll end up needing to also use your computers keyboard for those options.

I use a Futaba radio and was going down the same road and trying to use it with a wired adapter. I got it working fine, for what that's worth. It wasn't long before I just quit using my actual radio and just started using the Interlink for my sim training.

The purpose of training on a flight sim is to develop the muscle memory you'll need in real life. The sim models while will be similar to a real model, they aren't the same. You'll find that having a different radio controller will be minor in comparison to the differences you'll see in real life vs the sim. Having a few extra mixes or settings that may be available on your own radio will be of little benefit in the long run. Just sit down ( or stand if you wish, jk'ing ) and plug in the Interlink and practice, practice, practice... that is the important part.

nacholibre

thanks a lot Randy, you are very expert of such issues, I've been through the manual, could find no specific info about these two ports, I had many radios, but all with a single port which I imagined to be an audio port just because the shape of the jack, but you had an interesting point there, considering the same jack 3,5mm is used even for charging, I had wrong ideas.
Anyhow I think I had solved, it was the most stupid thing, you can imagine what it was, a bad interlink cable, I cut the cable and spliced it with another jack, and it worked right away!! I could hardly believe it since the jack plug was like new, all sealed rubber allround, but after I had cut it it showed a bad continuity with an ohmmeter !!! After wasting so much time!! Anyhow this gave me the chance to get familiar with this nice forum and very good people like you and D.O.G: ready to help people in need.
Thanks again to you and D.O.G.!!

RandyDSok

I do appreciate the complement... but I've never been an expert on RC stuff... just someone with a bit of experience and likes to share it. In fact, since I'm no longer active in the hobby, my information is starting to get old. That said, it doesn't mean it will be worthless info, just dated and may end up having to be adapted a little bit to fit the new equipment.

mudbogger

Nacholibre,

I see others have already posted up to help you, but I too fly with a DX8 G2…You’ll want to plug the interlink cable into the training port side, not the audio port on the back of the radio. Side note, when you go to open realflight, double check the simulation tab in realflight on the main screen, and click on “select controller”. Once there, there should be a grey little arrow / drop down box, and you’ll want to click on the one that says “Spektrum”. Then on the bottom right of that menu, click on calibrate, there will be a prompt to center your sticks, and you have to click again at the bottom right to start calibration. You’ll see a bunch of channels listed (maybe more than the transmitter has, but that’s okay). The extra channels listed can be used with your keyboard, I believe they’re on letters U, I, O, and P? Anyways, Go through all of your channels on your transmitter, and when complete another blue button will light up on the bottom right to finish the process. Once everythings done, you should be ready to fly on realflight. I run realflight 7.5 & 9.5, not sure which version of realflight you have - just thought I’d mention it because 7, 7.5, 9, and 9.5 all calibrate the same way. Happy flying!

Top Bottom