Spektrum DX8G2 New Battery?

Heliman450

Hi all,

My DX8G2 is now about three years old and over the last year it seems the battery doesn't last as long as it did. During an off-season indoor flying session two weeks ago the transmitter simply shut down without an alarm sounding. Fortunately, no serious damage to the model (Blade 150S).

Further investigation showed that the default low voltage alarm at 6.3V wasn't reached and the shutdown occurred with about 7.2V displayed. It only ever shows a maximum of 7.9V during charging sessions. Today, my test confirmed the Tx. does indeed happen at around 7.2V.

Is it ready for a new battery or serious checking of the insides? All feedback appreciated.

Admiral

Firstly what chemistry is the battery LiPo or Li-ion Check that all the settings in the Tx are correct.

As it has been a progressive decline I would suggest a 4000 mAh Li-Po to replace it, if the issue still persists send the Tx to a Spektrum service center to be checked over.

Smoggie

It does sound like the LiPo is on it's way out. The DX8G2 battery has an integrated charger and charge part built in. so you cant easily use a standard Tx LiPo, you are pretty much stuck with the standard 2000mAh battery

3.3V is very low for an alarm value but equally I'd not have expected the Tx to shut itself down at 7.2V left in the pack. It would be worth repeating the tests after fitting the new battery.

Heliman450

Hi there both of you,

Thanks for your replies. It is indeed a Li-ion 2000 mAh battery with its own port for the charger to plug into, so no other options for replacement. The default low alarm of 6.3V was never reached during its early days as I always charged it before the value was reached. As we're not allowed in the sports hall for about 5 weeks, I think I'll follow Keith's recommendation to send it for a service.

Top Bottom