Edge 540t Review

Tony

Staff member
haha, you and me both Jolly. The servos are on the way, and it should be in the air next weekend. I will be heading out to the field about 1600 today, hoping to get some pictures and video.

cweeks0515

I moved this into the Member Review section to help clean up the main page a little.

T-
I understand there is an inherent weakness in the airframe in the LG area. Are you beefing
this area up? Seems this would be a nice application for some CF rods or struts. Once the stock plywood
gear box fractures it really creates a mess. I have the sequence f3a from GP and it suffers from the
same weakness.Will be starting a build on the 540T so looking for good design ideas.
Keep up the good work!
C

Tony

Staff member
Actually, I found this weakness lol. while I was out flying one day early in the morning, I had to make a cross runway landing. Teh wheels caught the edge of the runway and I folded the landing gears back and put the wheel pants through the wings. Yes, both of them lol.

I only used epoxy to repair the plane and a lot of it. There are other ways I have seen where you can use 1/8" ply and epoxy, I just didn't want to sit for that long cutting the pieces out.

As for creating a mess, it looked really bad at first and I thought I would have to order a new fuse and tail feathers, but it went together just like a puzzle. It's much stronger now. I just need to find the time to get outside and do some more flying to test it out.

Blade_flyer

Nice airplane. I was sitting on the fence on buying this one or the Extreme Flight Edge 540. I'm going to order the EF 540 as soon as I get over to the hobby shop. That is if they give me the club discount. If not, I'll order it online.

It's a shame that the ARF manufacturers don't reinforce high stress areas better, like the gear mounts, engine mounts, and hinge areas. You bet as I finish assembly on theis one, I will take a hard look at the design, especially the gear mounts. As I will be flying mostly from the grass, we have a problem on the runway where the deer will paw at the ground and create small divots. If you are not careful or have a weak design, you can strip the gear right out from under the airframe!

Bud

Tony

Staff member
The only reason mine folded was because of the lip of the runway I hit. If it didn't break, it would have broke something else. But I do really like this plane. Need to get it back in the air, just don't have time or money to do so.

Smoggie

I've read a few reports of the gear ripping out of the fuselage on this plane, it does appear to be a weak point in the design.

The Extreme Flight version is a bit better but will still crack the former at the rear of where the landing gear attaches if you whack it hard. The solution on the EF version is to cut out a brace from G10 or carbon laminate and glue it over the former behind the landing gear. I made a template for the brace (see attached).

This makes the gear bomb proof. I once pancaked mine so hard it broke both wheels off and the landing gear buried itself into the ground all the way to the fuselage.. the fuselage structure was unharmed! Not sure if something similar would work on the GP version?

Attachments

• Edge EXP 48 LG reinf.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 15

Blade_flyer

I've read a few reports of the gear ripping out of the fuselage on this plane, it does appear to be a weak point in the design.

The Extreme Flight version is a bit better but will still crack the former at the rear of where the landing gear attaches if you whack it hard. The solution on the EF version is to cut out a brace from G10 or carbon laminate and glue it over the former behind the landing gear. I made a template for the brace (see attached).

This makes the gear bomb proof. I once pancaked mine so hard it broke both wheels off and the landing gear buried itself into the ground all the way to the fuselage.. the fuselage structure was unharmed! Not sure if something similar would work on the GP version?

I was planning on reinforcing any area that looks week as I build it. I will use your design. Thanks!

Top Bottom