Power Supply's ESC/Motor/Battery

fullspd

I’m getting back into RC after a 30 break. I have always flown high-start or winch launched sailplanes but decided to go electric this time. I just picked up a Volantex Phoenix S 1600 since I don’t have areas near me to launch from. Landing should be fairly easy though In my limited space.
I have watched the video on this site several times regarding selecting the proper ESC, Motor and Battery. I think I have a grasp on it but wanted to run my upgrade choices by those that have perhaps been doing this a while.
I’ve selected a Powerdrive 28-30 1000kv motor that has an output of 370W. I will power this with a 3S 1550mAh 65C battery utilizing a 40A ESC. I plan on changing the prop out also to a 9 x 5.
Does this all sound reasonable? Have my math skills gone out the window? Tell it to me straight…………………………..I can take it!!

Thank you in advance and I look forward to spending time on this site reacquainting myself with this great hobby.

Jerry

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
First welcome to the site :welcome1:Second if you want to Tell it to me straight…………………………..I can take it!! Well you came to the right place :triumphant: You will also get very good advice. Good to have another RCer :). For your answer on up grade choice I can't help. :whistle:Randy on the other hand is a plane man also knowledgeable in electronics

RandyDSok

Having never gotten a glider ( powered or otherwise )... some of this I can only point you in the direction of... the prop in particular being what I have little experience in. I do know you'll want to have a folding prop so when you aren't powered up, it folds back and doesn't cause extra drag. The size of the prop will depend on the power you do end up with... just like in any powered aircraft.

Well... to get this out of the way first before going into the weeds.... The motor you are thinking of is over twice the weight of the recommended one that comes in the PNP and RTF versions of that model. So not only would it throw your CG out of whack, it'd likely not mount to the front of the plane since it's much larger of a motor. The included motor and prop are a BL 2212/1400KV sized motor and a 1260 ( 12 x 6 folding ) prop when using that prop on 2s batteries. The motor does supports both 2s and 3s batteries but with the 1260 they are using the 2s batteries. If going to 3s, you'd need to use a smaller prop.

Now about motor sizing/naming... There are two methods being used the most. One is the outside diameter and length of the can on the outside... and the other is the size of the stator which is inside of the can. The only way to really tell is too look at the drawings and or specs to see which is being used.

The one for the Voltantex isn't stated which method but in either case, is much smaller than the one you were looking at... nor are the specs or drawings given although I found it listed as weighing in at 29g. I would guess but can very well be wrong, that the Voltantex is giving the can size in the naming of the motor, but it's a wild guess without anything to go by. The Powerdrive 28-30 1000kv motor on the otherhand at least does state it's the outside of the can diameters and weighs in at 69g.

Going with a motor with a little more power or prop should be fine but not one more than 2x the size. Keep the size of the motor diameter the same as the original recommended motor. If wanting a little more speed ( and not sure why on a glider )... go to about the same motor more or less but 3s and something like a 11x6 prop... if you want a touch more... drop to something like a 10x7 prop if you can find one in that size.

fullspd

Having never gotten a glider ( powered or otherwise )... some of this I can only point you in the direction of... the prop in particular being what I have little experience in. I do know you'll want to have a folding prop so when you aren't powered up, it folds back and doesn't cause extra drag. The size of the prop will depend on the power you do end up with... just like in any powered aircraft.

Well... to get this out of the way first before going into the weeds.... The motor you are thinking of is over twice the weight of the recommended one that comes in the PNP and RTF versions of that model. So not only would it throw your CG out of whack, it'd likely not mount to the front of the plane since it's much larger of a motor. The included motor and prop are a BL 2212/1400KV sized motor and a 1260 ( 12 x 6 folding ) prop when using that prop on 2s batteries. The motor does supports both 2s and 3s batteries but with the 1260 they are using the 2s batteries. If going to 3s, you'd need to use a smaller prop.

Now about motor sizing/naming... There are two methods being used the most. One is the outside diameter and length of the can on the outside... and the other is the size of the stator which is inside of the can. The only way to really tell is too look at the drawings and or specs to see which is being used.

The one for the Voltantex isn't stated which method but in either case, is much smaller than the one you were looking at... nor are the specs or drawings given although I found it listed as weighing in at 29g. I would guess but can very well be wrong, that the Voltantex is giving the can size in the naming of the motor, but it's a wild guess without anything to go by. The Powerdrive 28-30 1000kv motor on the otherhand at least does state it's the outside of the can diameters and weighs in at 69g.

Going with a motor with a little more power or prop should be fine but not one more than 2x the size. Keep the size of the motor diameter the same as the original recommended motor. If wanting a little more speed ( and not sure why on a glider )... go to about the same motor more or less but 3s and something like a 11x6 prop... if you want a touch more... drop to something like a 10x7 prop if you can find one in that size.
Thank you for your input on this Randy. I’ll pull the motor from the Phoenix S and put it on a gram-scale before I make any decisions. I certainly know the drawbacks of adding additional nose weight, especially in a glider. The stated weights on a BL2212 1400kv motor are all over the board on the web. I’ll have my own actual measured weight soon which I will share here.

fullspd

Thank you for your input on this Randy. I’ll pull the motor from the Phoenix S and put it on a gram-scale before I make any decisions. I certainly know the drawbacks of adding additional nose weight, especially in a glider. The stated weights on a BL2212 1400kv motor are all over the board on the web. I’ll have my own actual measured weight soon which I will share here.

Top Bottom