First flight outdoors

Slobberdog

Well what an experience, went out in the open, conditions were bright and sunny with a little wind and cold.

Can't believe that the wind would have so much influence on the heli, not moving around that is but destroying lift and then when the wind died off giving lift, would gain four feet in alt in no time. Wow.

Well anyway I survived but will have to get used to this, and had to dial my expo down to 25% cos the heli was not reacting quick enough for me, I think the stick time I have put in on my twitchy 100x is paying off, cos with the expo I was moving the sticks slightly and then realising I needed to move them a lot more.

Tail held well, so glad on that front NO DRIFT, Yey

Tony

Staff member
Went ahead and moved this into the flight stories section.

Actually, with translational lift, when the gust hits the heli, it gives it cleaner air and providing more efficient lift thus raising it up in the air. It's when the air starts to swirl the blades that you lose lift. Either way, it's quite hard to control no matter what lmao.

Congrats on the flight, and I'm glad you could lower your expo a bit to help out. Just means you are not banging the sticks around. Keep it up and get VIDEO next time!!!! :biggrin1:

Slobberdog

Thanks Tony, it catches you by surprise, I have not done much above waist level with this bird so the extra lift I was getting was taking it up to about 8-9 feet, lots of adrenaline flowing and easy to let I get the better of you, but just managed to keep my cool without dropping the sticks to much like I do on the 100x, good fun in the end but an experience none the less.

Will get someone to video next time,

Lee

Nice one Kev. Wind can be good and bad. For me i found that wind helped me to keep a steady hover. I had to concentrate more when there was no wind.

Slobberdog

Marius, was my 450.

Lee, yes it certainly keeps you on your toes, it was the up lift that scared me a bit, one minute it's at waist level then its ten foot up, lol.

Well at least it's not in pieces, I managed to keep control, but still gonna need a lot more practice, lol

pvolcko

When you're hovering or in low angle stable flight it will almost always go up due to a gust so it is usually safe. Trickier if you're at a higher angle, then a gust can push the model around or even cause it to lose altitude. Gotta stay on top of things in a wind. :)

Top Bottom