General First Fpv Flight Furibee X140

Tony

Staff member
Today is a great day! Not only have I been able to get around without much pain, but I finally charged up a pack after about a month of not being able to do anything and got to head outside and fly! And holy crap am I rusty lol.

I was going to shoot some videos today, but I have a horrible block that I just call a "creative block". I try to make something happen, and it just doesn't come together. So screw it, I pulled out a little 650mah 4s pack and charged it up. I made sure my Aomway Commander goggles were all charged up and ready to go with an SD card and then I pulled the Jumper T8SG out of its case and made sure I was on the right model.

When the battery was finished, I headed out to the front yard and first thing, I did a LOS (line of sight) flight just to make sure the quad was not going to do anything stupid, and it didn't. Just as stable as ever. So I tossed the goggles on and started flying.

It did take a bit to get used to flying with goggles again, but that didn't take long. Just a random, non scripted flight just to loosen up the fingers a bit. It was great. The whole time I was flying around in Horizon mode which for those that don't know is the mode where you still have self level when you let go of the sticks, but you can still do flips and rolls. However, this would cause an issue later.

I did get a little close to the ground on one trip around the tree and hit the ground pretty hard. Ended up bending a prop. I just bent it back and took it back up LOS to make sure everything was fine. It wasn't. I mean, the quad was fine, nothing broke, but I had to hold forward and left to keep it level. I have had this issue before, just not with this quad. So this drift issue is either the Jumper Tx, or Betaflight. Not sure which.

I ended up putting the quad into Angle mode (like horizon but no flipping) and even though it was not as bad, the drift was still there. It wasn't as bad because the roll rate was greatly reduced in Angle from Horizon. So I did a little LOS flight in Rate mode (no self level) and the quad was perfect.

Back in my chair, goggles down and we are back under way in Horizon and I'm following a truck that was looking at me like I was a dork, and I was, I was wearing the Dork Glasses so it was all good. Once he was gone I flew back around, held a short hover and flipped it into Rate mode in FPV. Last time I tried this, it ended badly. But this time, the quad was more stable than it had ever been! This was awesome.

I flew it around for a little bit and I came to a conclusion that I never though I would say. It was actually easier to fly in Rate than it was in any kind of stability mode. I was not having to constantly fight the self level and I could just put the quad where I wanted it and it would stay there. Turns, what a breeze. Fast Forward Flight, no problem!

Maybe something clicked. I don't know. But what I do know is I have got to start flying Rate mode more often and hell, who knows, maybe I will turn the accelerometer off all together! Only time will tell.

And yes, a video is currently uploading of this flight! I will post it here when it is done.

Tony

Staff member
Well, the Mavics are only made for steady camera shots. This one is made to toss around the sky if it had a better pilot than me lol.

Top Bottom