Flew and crashed today

murankar

Staff member
The Gaui went in again today, radio issue is all I can think of.

Went in like a Ginger, skids (waiting on delivery), my rails 326mm and thats about it. Still need to check the shafts I am sure the spindle is bent but I have 4 on hand so thats good.

The main cause is the TH9X, i think. its the only reasonable explanation as to what happened. After the crash scene investigation I had now indication of electronics failure.

talk more later have to go to confession.

murankar

Staff member
Yes it is holding just fine for now. The wind was ticking off the tail a bit but all in all the gyro has been doing just fine. I have redone the initial setup and it doing great. I do have a kbar in route and cant wait to try that. From what I have been hearing the kbar maybe the one I want. Now My radio is another story. I really need to invest in a temp radio that is solid, reliable and wont have any negative effects on my kit.

I think I said this earlier but I would really like to get something like a dx6i or a dx7s for a really fair price. I passed on Saturday on a brand new dx6i fully loaded for about $120 USD. I passed on it for a few reasons, one I thought that was pricey for a discontinued model and two I could not see parting with that kind of cash since I just built the charging case. I really need to look at a radio at this point and had I planned differently I would be sitting on a T8j or a Graupner 8/9 channel, but I didnt and now I have to wait yet again. I am going to go back to standard AA batteries for the time being to see if the Life pack took a dump on me. I am thinking that the battery in the TX was the true player in this. My radio was screaming at me at 9.6 volts. I was also watching my voltage on the radio just drop today. It was like drinking the electrons out of the pack at a crazy rate. So right now I am standing by the fact the battery is toast. I have had it since Korea and it was not taken care of properly so the IRs are probably really high, according to the 4010 Duo I had 3.8 mah resistance which is high.

For now I don't really want to take a chance so I will swap back to standard AA batteries.

Admiral

I do have a kbar in route and cant wait to try that. From what I have been hearing the kbar maybe the one I want.

Tried a Kbar for the first time last weekend on an old Blade 400 I had converted to FBL which was giving problems with a 3GX, ROCK SOLID, most impressed so much so I'll start saving my bickies and invest in a Vbar for the 500 which also has a 3GX on it.

murankar

Staff member
As we all know it takes about $300 for a VBar. I agree that buying one time is the best way to do it. Right now I am doing everything I can right now to get a new radio which is more important than a gyro atm. I have had these lectures put upon me, I have put these lectures upon others. Trust me I know how this works, spend little upfront spends a lot in the end, spend a lot up front spend little in the end.

UPDATE:

I have sent to protos mini off to Alvarado Texas. It should be there by the Second of April. My Used Dominator 450 will be posted tomorrow and should be here some time by the weekend. Once I get a look as to what I got I will posting it in the for sale section to fund the new radio.

So after many hours of searching reading and discussing with many folks I have come to my decision.
Here is the list of what I was looking at then maybe I'll tell you what I got or you can try and guess:

Futaba:

I started looking at the T8j and T10j almost at the very start of their release. I love how the look and I like the features of the 10J with the s-bus programmer built in. Later I started looking used 8FG super and 14SG which I can't afford even used. That statement is the reason I knocked out my second choice.

V Control:

I looked at this radio before looking at the price tag. I love how much this radio can do. If I like how the kbar handles then the Vbar is going to be my final goto gyro. With that said I would love to be able to tune and tweak the gyro right from the radio. As stated earlier price just is not in my range and I was not able to locate a used one in the short time I started looking for radios.

Graupner

I began to look at Gruapner after listening to RC heli today show. I really liked what I heard about the radio. very flexible especially with telemetry and RX choice. From what they said on the podcast any of the Gruapner Rxs will bind to any Gruapner radio. This is a plus for me now I can get just about any size I am willing to pay for. Gruapner RXs are comparatively cheaper than any other RX. The price tag is easy to swallow concidering what you get for your money. coming in somewhare around the upper 200s lower 300s.

Out of all of those I am really hooked on the Gruapner as my radio. So as of today I sent the Protos mini out to the new owner. Tomorrow when I see the tracking numbers for my previously owned Dominator L 450 I will be placing my order for in store pickup. This heli kit is going to fund most of my new radio. Once I see what I am getting I will post the pics and set a price.

Anyhow I will be updating this thread as things change since it was this crash that caused most of this to happen except the trade of the new heli kit. Thats been in the works for about 2 weeks now and finally today came to fruition.

murankar

Staff member
Admiral After rereading your post I think I misunderstood what you said. Yes I think the Kbar is going to be one of the more solid clones available as of right now. We will see how I like it, I have a feeling once the radio is sorted out I will be getting a true vbar or I just may end up with A beastX V3 will see.

heli-maniac

When I went from the Beast X to the K Bar it was Like flying on the sims . To me its just a much better feel of fly the heli
I did how ever go with a Ikon on the Oxy3 Just to see what flew better and To me the V Bar is a better flight and nicer set up than the IKON Ya the Ikon has a self level that I may never use . I still need to tweak on the Ikon and see if im going to keep it or just go Vbar on it .

AS far as you getting a new TX I always looked at whats common and that I can get help with if needed
I love my DX8 it always works and I have had it for 3 years now I have not done any updates to at all .( it aint broke dont fix it kinda thing)

murankar

Staff member
I dont think I want to give up what I decided on till I get it. I think you all will agree I made a good choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think I want to give up what I decided on till I get it. I think you all will agree I made a good choice.

murankar

Staff member
Flitest now uses the Gruapner I have eyeballing, Nick Lenn used it briefly and the host of the RC today show is reviewing one or has reviewed one. Your right not many people use it as of yet. I think it has staying power once people see what it can do.

Admiral

Hi Murankar, I was not prepared to spend $300 for an FBL unit for a Blade 400 but wanted to try a Vbar style unit and Kbar seems to have great reviews, and it lives up to the reviews. I am aware of the controversy about using clone equipment and agree with it in principal but in practice, being a pensioner there is no way I could afford to buy a Vbar on a whim to play with but I can a Kbar and I assume that the original is better than the clone so the Vbar is what I'll set my sights on when I have the funds.

So far I have tried the following FBL units:-

Copter X 1000 Good unit value for money
Copter X 2000 Could not get it working properly, ended up binning it.
3GX There has been plenty said about them, they work OK but not up to what Premium Equipment should perform like.
AR7200BX Great
Turnigy 3D H Worked well to start, but never really felt locked in.
Kbar Very impressive.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Like I stated earlier I had miss read what you put. Like you my funds are super tight. In order for me to get new things I have to sell old stuff.

I am slowly building a kit that will last a number if years but it has taken at least 4 years to get here. Little by little I manage to get one new quality thing a year. Two years ago it was an air frame, last year same thing airframe, this year was the charging setup and with a pending deal a new radio. With the addition of a kbar I now can focus on spare parts finally.

I am about to head out to get my new radio. I am buying a name brand from a local hobby shop. Only because I want it now and not later. Plus I am getting a better deal on this option.

When getting into this hobby its very difficult and arduous. So much to learn and so much to get. Its no wonder people actually start this hobby, especially with helis. Planes are not as difficult since any air frame design can be made from pizza boxes to foam board.

Rant over. Just to clarify again I miss read your post, so any offence I may have created I apologize. Happy modeling and flying.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
Okay don't spill it tony. Okay here it is: I am at place where we have out club meetings. Ramble ramble ramble.

ForumRunner_20150401_180653.jpg

ForumRunner_20150401_180653.jpg

murankar

Staff member
We all know what radios you like. Well for the most part we do.

Tony

Staff member
lmao. You could have gotten JR, Futaba, Spektrum or any other of the higher end Tx's and I would have said the same. All in all, anything is better than those Tx's from China IMO. There are just way too many parameters on them for the beginner pilot.

trainrider06

Nice radio murankar! I really like my old DX6i now that I fixed the button and have a backlight....but I have eyed the new 6 too...I'd like one myself, or an 8, or 9...but for now my ol steed will serve me fine...

murankar

Staff member
The back light on the 6i has had many issues for most. Its not a mod I was looking at doing. The 6i is a great radio that has been in production now for what seems like 5 years now. It not without flaw. It dies have its minor issues that many people have been able to overcome.

The 6 is a great upgrade to the 6i. Specktrum did a great job of fixing the issues with the 6i and implementing them in this new radio. One flaw if the 6 as of right now is that it likes its power. I can go through a set of batteries of not configured correctly. As I work with the radio I will post up my take on it.

This was an upgrade from the TH9X. So I have a bit of learning to do on this system. The 9x firmware mimicked the 6i in many ways but the 6 has a slightly different program layout.

Top Bottom