Funny Story

Geena

Staff member
So today ( Saturday October 9, 2021) I attended a predominately airplane geared funfly called Watt Fest. I attend this event every year, and I have a blast with all the cool folks who show up. Each year I`m asked to do a noon demo flight for the crowd, and I always oblige with a nice hard 3D flight.

Today, they announce me and I take center stage. I get spooled up, get into the air and start my routine, and so far.... it`s going well. Well.....about 3 minutes into the flight and inverted....throttle hold gets activated.

Since I don`t have a normal mode with zero throttle set, I have to use a flat zero throttle curve in my throttle hold throttle curve to be able to arm the speed control. Which means auto rotation bailout is deactivated. Sooooooo... now I`m committed to and inverted auto from about 40 feet up and about 40-60 feet out. No problem there, because I`ve done that 1000 times. I ended up landing nose in with a nice soft touch down. I turned around and said "MY BAD!....lets continue". Then I spooled back up and finished the demo.

The reason for throttle hold being activated was because of having my little fat finger wedged between the engine kill switch and the throttle hold switch. I moved the transmitter a little, to get it into a more comfortable position.....and CLICK! My old transmitter has a button in the place of the kill switch, so that was never an issue.

We all got a laugh out of it, and no helicopters were harmed...so it was a good day. I do have a button switch on the way, to replace the kill switch though.

Admiral

Nice save, maybe you should have taken a bow and said "All part of the show folks"

Last edited:
Top Bottom