Gas Or Propane Generator?

Rob Lancaster

Ok guys, I know you all know about this topic..
Which do you prefer, gas or propane for your generator?

I have a Honda (there's a surprise) EU2000i with about 40 hours on it. So far so good. Did I mention the power went out for about 4 and a half hours on Christmas Day? While I'm laying there like a worthless bag of jelly. Can you believe it. We had I nice little wind and rain storm with up to 60 to 70 mph winds.. It wasn't long before the power failed.

I sent my assistant for ethanol free gas and then just made sure he did the generator hookup and starting procedure properly. I made it idiot proof and to code but bro Tom has a way of say, getting confused if it's AC currant, HA! It's true, he can reason out an antenna for any frequency and amp match it, but AC at 60 cycles he won't touch it; HA!! He says he just doesn't understand working with AC the way I do. I say that's ok I'll do it if that's the case. I always say; if your not comfortable doing this kind of work; don't do it!.... Look at me, I like doing this kind of work but sometimes I get complacent. That's what happened to me just recently with the water heater and it was another eye opener for sure! JUST BE SAFE!! >>>>>>>>>>

This time (its rare for sure) the cable amps remained energized. Just the main power was out. Must be a different supply some how.... So after we fired up ole Genny, we had the TV, internet and phone service back online. Along with the refrigerators and freezers and the fans! Alright! This ain't bad... The lights are all LEDs so their all a cinch… The security system is also in the loop with a well maintained battery backup...

Have a look at this link; what do you guys think? Is this a bad Idea for the generator? I again relish your thoughts on this topic...….. Amazon product
Thanks friends……………..

RandyDSok

It'd depend on the situation as to which may be cheaper or easier... Here, we'd have all three options ( gasoline, natural gas and propane ) to consider.

Gasoline... probably the place to start since the genny is probably already setup for it. The main downsides are getting moisture in the gas when it's setting, and getting "stale"... Gasoline stabilizers such as Staybil or other can address it going stale. Even with a stabilizer, you'd want to make certain to use it up within a year or so... or use it up in your mower if you have one. Alcohol treatments like Heat can help with moisture issues. The other downside would you'd need to always store some additional gasoline somewhere which could be a fire hazard.

Natural Gas... If you have this option, it'd be the least work since it's piped directly to you from the local gas company. If you aren't within a city/town limits, this may not be an option. So supply issues are not issues since it'd be piped in directly, no stability or moisture issues. The only things left you'd still need to perform would be regular maintenance which you'd need to do with all three options anyway ( clean carb and spark plugs, replace the oil ... etc )

Propane... often used in the more rural areas would be another nice option IF you already have a large tank you need to get refilled for your home. If you'd have to go into town or where ever to get a portable tank... it would at least not have the stability or moisture issues that gasoline may have.

Tony

Staff member
I would say it depends on where you live and if power outages are rare, or if they occur pretty regularly. Here in Oklahoma, we can have tornadoes and ice storms that can knock the power out for a few days. but down along the coast, they can have hurricanes that can kill the power for weeks if not months. Here where I live, Gas is the generator of choice since we do not need anything setup permanently. If it was critical, I would have either diesel or natural gas connected since they can run much longer. But down along the coast, natural gas is almost a must have since there is a seemingly endless supply of fuel.

Admiral

Looks like a reasonable option, but playing devils advocate my concerns would be financial break even point and suitability of running your genny on LPG which, runs much dryer, and on some motors can burn out the valves over time.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I have 2 gas generators just in case. Here in Florida, our concern is hurricanes. Like Tony mention," hurricanes that can kill the power for weeks if not months." We were also looking into solar power but after further researcher and talking to URI about solar, it wasn't cost efficient. So now we are in the process of purchasing a Generac home generator https://www.grainger.com/product/GENERAC-Liquid-Propane-Natural-Gas-49LX85 It seem to be the best solution for us. Will still keep the generator and us them but Generac is the way to go...I think.

Rob Lancaster

All good things to consider for sure like burnt valves.. Hey Keith I have a Honda EU2000i.. Do you know if it's ok to run them on propane?

Also; what's the deference between propane and natural gas? Aren't they the same thing?

Tony

Staff member
They are not the same thing. Just like ethanol and gasoline are not the same thing. Different fuel mixtures, different jetting and different valving to regulate the fuel.

Rob Lancaster

Ok sounds good, I'll see what we decide on. I want to convert to propane at this point but we'll see... Thanks all..

murankar

Staff member
Personally I would use natural gas where I am. It's a big waist of money so that's what I would do with. For real though here we never know what's going to knock out power here, nitnknowing what conditions wreck havoc on power I want it on instant start. I dont want to have ti muck around at 3 am trying to pull start a generator. In a pinch o could keep one fish tank going off my car provided I get enough sun. Between the 2 lizzards and the fish its antos up. The fish are cheap the lizzards are not.

Last edited:

Rob Lancaster

If I had city ng, I would defiantly go with that. No such thing here at home so I choose the propane. That is when I get to the that project.. Ha! Heck if I had a generator shed or equivalent, I'd set up the auto start system too. That's got to be nice...

Fly-n-Low

What ever gas you choose, if you run the carburetor out, you are good. I have several small engines that run pumps, conveyors, etc. When I am done, I turn the fuel off and let them run out.

Two strokes are a different animal. I'll save that advice for later.. LOL!!!

Top Bottom