380/420 Gaui X3 crash investigation

DeMuu

Hi all,

I'm a seasoned fixed-wing pilot but heli newbie. I am comfortable with keeping it stable and flying around. I've also been starting to do some basic on-the-spot flips to get used to negative pitch control. I bought the heli used (specs below) and all went fine for a few flights. Now suddenly today while doing a flip (about 30m away from me and at 15m height) the motor seemingly just stopped when it was inverted. I managed to get it upside down again but it came down really hard and the blades + landing gear are broken and the tail boom is possibly bent a bit.

Specs Gaui X3 (belt version):
- Align Dominator motor
- HobbyKing Platinum 50A ESC
- MSH Brain (the old version) -> I'm running a Spektrum DX8G2 and just plugged a Spektrum satellite into the FBL

The battery was brand new and only 1 flight old and the cells are good.

My question now is: What could be the reason for a sudden motor shut down? It was the first flight of the day and I've flown two, three times in a row before so temperature should not have been an issue. It was also around 12°C air temp when it happened. Could it be that the MSH Brain is faulty and somehow turned off the motor?

Additionally - I'm not sure if this is relevant or an issue at all, since I'm new to heli flight dynamics - the heli had some wobbly moments on previous flights while doing warm-up circuit flying. I assumed it was the wind since it was a bit gusty but now that it crashed I'm not sure if the FBL could've been the culprit and it was a warning sign I did not see due to lacking the experience.

I'm now unsure how to proceed cause if any of the electronic parts are faulty I don't want to throw money at the model and fix the parts with a high risk of crashes or other danger possibly happening again.

Has anyone experienced something like this before or knows a way to troubleshoot?

Thanks a lot for reading until here and trying to help. I'd hate to give up on the joy of helicopters over this :(

DeMuu

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Did the battery and motor leads fit snug? If not possible lost of power, reason ask this the same happen to me on the ground. One of the battery leads was just lose enough. Had to push it in for a tighter connection. Just a little thing if not checked can ruin your day:dizzy:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sounds like a loose connection gone undetected. I have an X-3 too and love it :yahoo: but I had this situation happen to my 550, I couldn't find out what happened even after teardown :thinking: Till I checked the batteries I was using and sure enough, in the connector was a loose solder connection :sad0147: I'm pretty good on pre-flight inspection but now a pre-battery inspection is in order too :).
BTW...:welcome1:and don't give up on flying helis because of a bad incident

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
So true about what D.O.G. said:agree:. As a pre flight, I check everything and mean everything even before spooling up. Trust your gut if something doesn't feel right. Last year I develop a check list for each of my birds for record keeping. It gives me peace of mind.:peaceful:

DeMuu

2CF252B1-8A82-490D-A096-0933B244A77F.jpegHi everyone, sorry for the late response and thanks for your replies! :)

I finally got around to take the X3 apart and check it. Turns out the culprit was a broken motor cable… (at least I’m 99% sure that’s what happened)

Only found this after I took out the motor so I guess it was just bad luck. Thankfully the crash damage wasn’t too bad.

I’ve taken your suggestions to heart and do thorough pre-flight checks now. :angel:

Cheers, DeMuu

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That will do it. BTW DeMuu every time I said I'm going to give up flying after a crash... I would own a real heli by now :lmao:

Top Bottom