Great Day For Flying......Errr........Crashing!

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Well, I thought I would take the 450 3D (flybarred) out and run some batteries through to make sure my skills were adequate after the winter to maiden the Goblin. My preflight check of servo travel direction and gyro correction checked out great. I fired her up and took off. I got into a nice hover and got my bearings and began to throttle up a bit and all of the sudden she tilted forward. I tried to correct and gave some back cyclic. This didn't work and I watched the bird continue to tilt forward and WHAM! Nose first into the dirt.

Back on the bench, I removed the blades and tested the servo and gyro direction. Everything moved in the correct direction. When I gave it some throttle to spin it up I noticed the elevator arm moving up and down sporadically. As I continued to throttle up the movement intensified and just over half throttle the arm moved in the full down, or full forward, position. I tried to correct with no avail................I think I know why I crashed! :thinking:

A little background: I just finished setting the head up last night and replacing the gyro with a Futaba GY520 (nice 450 gyro BTW) as the stock G210 was giving me massive jittery, tail wag no matter where I put the gain. I got the swash mix perfect and Bench test resulted in correct travel of all servos and gyro correction; however, I did not spool it up last night.

See the video........is the servo supposed to move like this with no elevator input from the Tx???????? I would think all cyclic servos should remain steady???

I did some further testing by programming a throttle curve of 30-30-30-30-30 on IU2. I then throttled up in Normal and flipped to IU2 and the servo moves to the full down position (tilts the swash full forward). The elevator servo does not react to my Tx inputs.

[video=youtube_share;msDN_h7B9Gs]http://youtu.be/msDN_h7B9Gs[/video]

Last edited:

Admiral

You didn't have a hope, I had a similar problem with a Blade 400 took off all good about 30 seconds into the flight the E-Flite Gyro decided to give up, got it down flat but a bit hard broke skids and feathering shaft, all fixed now with an Align 780 Gyro.

Lee

Looks like a dodgy servo, or RX port.
Try plugging that servo into one of the other ports on the RX.
If that servo does the same thing, you know its an RX issue, if not its the servo :)

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
Thanks, Lee. I'll give that a try.

I've always heard that you should run all the same servos on the cyclics. I have a Futaba S3156, which, if I recall correctly, has the same specs as the stock DS76's. Do I need to replace it with a DS76 or would I be okay replacing with the S3156. I need to verify that the specs are the same, though.

Lee

I wouldn't trust the specs.
Even servos of the same type, from the same manufacturer, can have different Specs/tolerances.
I would stick to having the same all round, or your just asking for trouble.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
I moved the elevator lead to a different channel on the Rx and the servo acts the same way…..deffective servo…..

This heli has been nothing but trouble since I bought it. :banghead: It certainly hasn't been RTF. More like RTCrash. I haven't had it in the air since I unpacked it. I had to replace the stock gyro and tail servo due to uncontrollable tail wag that I couldn't get rid of no matter where I put the gain. As you can see in the video, the gears do not run true. There is also a lot of flex and play in the head. I will be selling this thing as I'm tired of replacing the "new" parts just to get it in the air. By the time I replace/upgrade everything, I could have purchased a new bird already upgraded. The DX6i that came with it was a great radio though!

Top Bottom