General Greetings Fellow Rc Fans

Sky Pilot Steve

Hello all: I'm new to the hobby and would like to find a place to get answers to my questions, I'll try to be short and to the point. I've recently acquired a DX6i from ebay, my first question is: Can I easily reset the unit to a factory default setting? If I have purchased a outdated "dinosaur" which transmitter would you folks recommend for a new trainer flyer? Thanks for your time.

Steve

Admiral

Hi Steve, Welcome to the forum.

Well yes you have purchased a very old transmitter, but don't loose heart, it is not a bad place to start there are still thousands of them being used every day especially the later DSMX version.

I would suggest that you keep it while you learn to fly and learn what is happening in the RC world, after you learn to fly you will want to have something better but it may not be Sprktrum, not that there is anything wrong with Spektrum I started with a DX6i then moved to a DX8 now using a DX9 (Gen1) but there are heaps of great Transmitters out there and you may find something you like better.

The reason I went away from the DX6i was mine was DSM2, no Back-lit screen and the use of dry cell batteries but it got me off to a good start.

RandyDSok

Hi Steve...

I'd suggest that you start with getting a copy of the manual if you haven't already... see this page for that DX6i 6CH DSMX Radio System with AR610 Receiver (SPM6630): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

As it was already mentioned... it's as good of a place to start as any until you have developed your own preferences or requirements. I've never been a big Spektrum fan either but there are a ton of different bind n fly as well as plug and play RC things out there that are compatible making it pretty compelling.

Sky Pilot Steve

Thanks for the replies they were much appreciated and well spoke. I'm happy with the remote so far although it does appear that there is no factory reset function thru them and I will just have to learn the hard way....by doing. I took my Aero Scout out today for my first flight with it and promptly landed it roughly up about 75 feet into a tree. I'm wondering if there is a better way to retrieve it than the idea I have come up with....a baitcaster with 20 pound test and a 1/2 ounce weight. Any suggestions? Thanks again. On the bright side I flew my champ for about 15 minutes without incident.

Steve

RandyDSok

The best way to avoid situations like you mentioned... is to get experienced. Today, that is usually done using a flight simulator programs such as Realflight as well as others. In fact, you will often save the cost of the sim program in the number of repairs you will avoid. The "old fashion" way and certainly has some advantages is to join an RC club and let the members help teach you. Of course, considering the quarantine situation, that is harder to do than to say.

Crashing is inevitable which is why using a sim is strongly recommended. The old saying... it's not if you will crash but when... is based on real life. I've seen RC pilots with decades of experience have crashes... it is unavoidable but with experience it does happen much less often.

As far as getting a model out of a tree... the methods vary wildly and I don't think there is a best method. I think all of the methods also include a likelyhood of getting additional damage when the model does come down... so you just have to weigh your options each time that happens.

Sky Pilot Steve

As a matter of fact I already have RF9 and have been practicing for a few hours....guess I need a few more hours of practice huh. It was actually the successful flights I've had on the sim that encouraged me to get out and try the real thing. I went back to the park today and the aero scout is still sitting right where I left it....smiles. Maybe some stronger winds might down her down and hopefully I'm around to find it first. Thanks again for your comment and best wishes sir.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Steve and :welcome1: Try a tree company to get your areo scout down. I had the same problem with a quad and called a tree company. I offered them a $100.00 for getting the quad down. They refused but asked us to give them a write up on Facebook...So we did. Can't hurt to try. Good luck.

Sky Pilot Steve

I love that idea D.O.G......I called one and am waiting for a return call from the owner, we'll see...fingers crossed here. Thanks for your input as well.

Steve

Sky Pilot Steve

Mike's Tree Service to the rescue...I got the aero scout back but with damage as expected. Looks like the battery is dead, I'm not sure but it doesn't seem to taking a charge, the light on the charger is white. The wings were dinged up some as well as the fuselage. The hatch is missing but I think she might fly again some day after a few repairs. Thanks again everyone for their comments.

Steve

Top Bottom