Other Have any other RC flyers come down with Leukemia?

TimberGuy

I did and it has been a non-stop nightmare for 12 months. Mine was B-cell acute lymphocyte leukemia (ALL) of the Philadelphia like type. As Philadelphia like makes it a near fatal diagnosis, I had a stem cell transplant after my bone marrow had undetectable disease remaining (5 months of intense chemotherapy). I will not be flying for awhile as I am still on immune suppressants (60 – 100 times more susceptible to skin cancer). As the blood organ is likely the 2nd largest (right behind skin), I am a hybrid of 2 people, and my newborn immune system can and will attack my body (hopefully minimally).

So here comes my speculative connection between leukemia and RC air transmitters. I will never know absolutely what caused my cancer, but I have done a lot of research.

Timing: I am self-taught over the past few years. All I need to do is step out my door to fly as we live in a 20-acre restored prairie. The summer of 2021 was my summer of the most flying. I was diagnosed with cancer the 1st week of October.

I have a TriField Model TF2 EMF meter, but refused to believe the RF emissions of my radio were strong enough to matter. After all it is near 2.4 GHz, just like my cell phone, but also nearly the same frequency as microwaves. I was in total denial of any risk to RF. But the emissions are much more then a cell phone, remember that!

How I used my simulator to learn to fly – big mistake! For the most realism I chose to use my actual radio with an RF receiver dongle plugged into my laptop. Both laid on my lap as I sat on the couch. Remember that!

How I chose to actually fly with the radio. I was lazy and let my arms fall with the radio right in front of my lap while standing. More anatomically correct would be to say the radio was always in front of my Pelvic bones. Remember that!

Now I will make the connections, but 1st a brief self-conclusion about Leukemia. I suspect that most people who die of leukemia never knew it was leukemia that killed them. That is because we die of the consequences. The day I received the phone call to get to the hospital emergency room ASAP as they were waiting for me, I had been out doing a 1-hour intense bike ride and was feeling pretty good. I would later learn that I was within a week of dying. Long story short, a lung/raspatory infection (viral or bacterial), blood clot or internal hemorrhaging it what kills you. I suspect one’s leukemia death could be checked off as Covid-19 as the death symptoms will be similar. I live within an hour of a renowned major medical facility. My blood labs came back quick, as they were internal. Most out state and regional medical facilities send your blood work off to a lab, like this facility. There can be enough transit time to allow for death.

Now I will address the line items of above and the possible connection:

My timing, I did most of my flying and learning the summer of my diagnosis. But I had been using the RF dongle and simulator much more in the few years previously. It is important to note, that most cancers are from an accumulation of injuries over time (like smoking and lung cancer).

We have all heard the blanket statement that our radio transmitters are too low in frequency and power to be of any concern. When I was an early teen at church camp, the proprietor would spray a mist to keep the mosquitos away at camp fire. It was DDT. Then there was “Round Up”, so safe you could drink it. The cancer wards are full of applicators. So much for blanket statements.

I read a plethora of research studies concerning the situation, mostly on cell phones. I have no concern about my cell phone, or WIFI modem. Both transmit in pulses and at less RF than the RC transmitter. Using my TriField meter, I found the RC transmitter strength to be both continuous and at higher power than either, especially the phone. The US Government mostly references European studies, and I found nothing directly related to RC radio transmitters. One conclusion is the amount of time exposed. Although the so-called safe limits are much higher than what the RC transmitter puts out, there is a limit of exposure time. For example, 6 minutes was a common time. I have had my radio on my lap 60 minutes or more doing practice simulations. The limits also vary by country with Russia being the most restrictive.

The most comparable home appliance in both emissions power and frequency was our wall mounted built-in microwave. These are the shielded emissions and not what is going on inside the microwave. So, using my radio was basically the equivalent of having a microwave on my lap.

This is the connection that made me write this inquiry. My doctor’s mother had cervical cancer, treated with ionizing radiation. She later came down with the exact same leukemia as myself. After various sample biopsies for blasts (leukemia cells) over her pelvic bone areas, the conclusion was the radiation caused the leukemia. Similarly, my pelvic bone marrow biopsy was packed with 87% blasts (leukemia cells). If this concentration had been in my peripheral blood, I would have been long dead from clotting. As such my peripheral blood automated lab showed less than 10%, and a manual count of blasts was about 50% - still high for peripheral blood. Why were my blasts so concentrated where I put the transmitter?

I plan to get back to flying eventually, but with a whole new wardrobe. I bought 36 gage hobby craft aluminum foil off of Amazon. With my meter I determined this blocks the RF signal. I will make a full length compete circumference poncho of it. I will use a bed sheet loosely sewn around it for comfort, and Velcro to overlap and cinch the edges. I will use flexible aluminum conduit for my neck and arms, and use the same 36 gage sheet wrapped around a hockey helmet for my head. The deer don’t care what I look like, and I will look like a partially clothed knight in shinny armor. Note, I use a diversity antenna transmitter. It is the handle antenna that is of most concern. While on/near my lap I am in its direct and most powerful signal flow.

A remedy would be for the manufacturers to offer the diversity antenna (an inverted T) at the end of a telescoping tube 5 to 7 feet from our bodies while flying. It would be a choice, but that is what I want to purchase. It would put the signal field that much further from me and result in much lower power emissions to my body. And always use a wired simulator. I have no emissions with my new one. And watch your exposure time – flying short flights looks much safer.

This is a concern that needs RC community observation and communication (policing). We are too small for the government to care. Pressure on the manufacturers to get the antennas away from our bodies is the goal.

RandyDSok

My Dad is now over 90 yrs old... he has flown RC since at least the 50's when most fliers were making their own radios... I've known other RC fliers that also have had no ill effect even if they were flying professionally. I'm over 60 now and have been around RC since my early teens, also with no ill effects. Your suspicions are not based on any of the tons of research already done by others with much more experience than you or I.

I'm sorry to hear of your health problems... but you are using coincidence to make a point where there are no scientific proof of your claims.

Admiral

I'm 73 been fly RC since I was in my 20's, I have had cancer but my brother who has never had anything to do with RC also had the same cancer.
I believe that it is just the luck of the draw, some people say "Why me" I say " Why not me" I'm too worried about enjoying the life I have left to worry about the past.

I am also sorry to hear about you health issues, I can sympathise , but as my oncologist says get out and enjoy the life my team gave you.

TimberGuy

Thank you Admiral for actually answering the question! The following is from another blog (busier) and I felt compelled to include it here for completeness. With precautions stated (moving the atennas or the poncho) I hopefully can fly again next summer. For now I am bogged down by 1&1/2 years of treatment consequences. Also, this is one of a few speculations (chemicals the others) and certainly not an absolute. That I will never know.

OK, the need for some clarifications:

I have been an electrical engineer my whole career, so I took some liberty with the readers knowledge of the RF fields used. I designed the electronics and embedded machine control software for many an application. I have done an RF Tag (double encryption and decryption) application to prevent counterfeiting of our films produced in our Medical Laser Imagers.

As I said in the original this is “SPECULATIVE”.

As I should have clarified better that all testing was done on currently available transmitters. So, all testing was done at 2.4 GHz. Even my 5 GHz capable WIFI router was tested only at 2.4 GHz.

There are no opinions on my part. Everything stated was measured or the measurements of the best Medical Care possible.

I get the psychological human (fight or flight of the primitive portion of our brains) denial of a scary subject line, but really if you have not had Leukemia or know another RC flyer who has, there is no need to answer.

I have been using the latest generation Spektrum DX6. Note, this is a dual antenna (diversity) like most other current transmitters. So, 2 fields to contend with. Now Grandpa who did most of his flying in the old days of big wavelength, single long telescoping antenna is really not relevant to the facts presented.

I prefer the TriField RF meter mentioned as they use a real-life safe scenario range of measurement. Check them out or buy their meter and do your own measurements.

If you are relying on our government, forget it. They let the industries police themselves. I gave two well know examples of “perfectly safe”, but now well-known carcinogens in the inquiry. Oddly, Russia had the most restrictive requirements relative to this subject. Then again, they had many submariners die of Leukemia due to radiation leakage in there earlier atomic powered subs.

I have not had a flu vaccine in 25+ years, nor the flu. I cannot remember the last time I had a cold. For the past 30 years, we have eaten only organically grown meat (North Star Bison – look them up), fruits and vegetables.

Yes, I am anti-drug, vaccine, herbicide, pesticide. I do not even have a lawn anymore to waste time and money on. As, I stated we live in a beautiful 20-acre restored prairie that takes care of itself. As this is a zoned “Wild and Scenic” area, there is the freshest air possible. My nearest neighbor is ¼ mile away.

There is no bone marrow in the skull or arms/hands, so I am not concerned about the weak (by comparison) iPhone I use.

Neither of my deceased parents ever had cancer, or any of my 5 siblings. My mom’s 3 deceased sisters never had cancer. 2 of 3 of my Dad’s siblings never had cancer. His 1 brother died of pancreatic cancer, but had been a smoker.

Finally, this is the post I wish I had read when I got started. It would have given me pause and analysis versus following the crowd of blanket statements. As an engineer, I find it kind of idiotic to stick two RF fields into the human body of GHz or greater. That is 2 physical antennas so close to so much sensitive bone marrow. That is an opinion!

RandyDSok

I'll just point to what the American Cancer Society says about the subject of possible RF caused cancers ... see Radiofrequency (RF) Radiation

So unless an accredited medical source states otherwise... anything pointing otherwise, IN MY OPINION ... is simply fear mongering based on unsubstantiated information likely from sources with no medical background to stand on.

Top Bottom