Hello everybody kind of new to the heli hobby here & I need help

mafesto74

Hello. I just got me a hk 500, & everything is the way it should, but when I hit throttle, & is about to take off my heli starts spinning one way or the other. I know it has to do with the rudder, but like I said before. Everything is install right & center. It probably need some final adjustments here & there, but that where my lack off experience comes. I really can't tell what I did wrong. If anybody please, please help. It will be very appreciated. Thanks

Lee

Check your servo/gyro direction. If they are reacting in the correct direction then the next thing is to check your gain settings. If the tail is just drifting from side to side then your gain is too low. Raise it until the tail starts to wag then back off a couple of %. More info will help us to help you. ie. what gyro, TX, servo etc.

raptor660r70

to help you understand what lee is talking about with the servo direction, if you move your rudder stick left the rudder should slide right and vice versa. if that doesnt happen then you need to reverse the servo channel. checking the gyro, lift the tail of the bird and rotate left, the rudder slider should slide right and vice versa, if that does not happen you need to reverse the gyro. what i did when i set my gyro up ( with the help of the videos tony made ) i first checked my servo direction then my gyro, not sure if there really is a step one and step two when it comes to servo and gyro direction check.

Last edited:

helilover2

hi im new too but i have been learning alot from reading and tony well i can say check your gyro and servos if they are digital you need to set your gyro on digital and really use the radio settings to trim the gyro gain i had the same trouble but got it worked out its best to make sure all settings are right and swash is level im using futuba gyro and its costy but worth the money get a heli book about the build it helps i use model airplane news rc heli how to book its clear and concise

Tony

Staff member
I have to agree that is sounds like your gyro is reversed. Not the servo, but the gyro. the guys above have pin pointed how to check and setup the tail, but if you need more help, just let me know and I will see what I can do.

mafesto74

Well. I took care of my first problem, but now I have another one. My heli twitches no matter how the delay on my gyro is low or hy is to sensitive. I read that I could adjust it with my transmitter, but it doesn't seem to work. Probably I'm doing something wrong. Well I have on my heli a hobby king gyro, & a dx6i, but I'm starting to think that something is wrong with the gyro. If anybody has an idea of what I'm doing wrong please please I need help. Will be very apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Staff member
The delay will have little to no affect on the rate of the gyro. If you don't have a gain on your gyro, then you can only adjust it in the Tx. Go into your gyro menu and lower the number to reduce the wag. What I mean is, your gyro rate should be about 60 to 80 (anything above 50 is HH mode, and that is what you want it to be in). If you are at 72, then lower the rate to 71 and try it. If it still wags, then go to 70 and so on until it is solid. Then, when you get a little more experience under your belt, you will want to set the gyro up on the F-Mode switch so that you can lower the rate in idle up. It will be much more sensitive when the head is spinning faster.

Also, if you are running the HK401b, I have a word of caution. I have had two of them, and one of them had a constant wag. When it was sitting on the table and not being moved, the servo was twitching back and forth. This was a gyro issue, and there was nothing that I could do. If yours is not doing that, then you need to mod it for better performance. Do a search for "Hot Glue Mod" and do it to that gyro (only if it's a 401b!). That will make it much more stable.

Let us know if this helps you out. Be sure to check out some of my videos on setting up the gyro and tail. It will help a lot since it has to do with the DX6i.

Top Bottom