Trucks Hello Everyone New here and enjoying rc

SoundMan28

Hello everyone cool place. I just recently bought myself a Stampede 4x4 VXL. My first true rc truck. Its brushless and with a 3s Lipo that thing really moves out. Looking forward to mounting my go pro on it and running around to get some shots.

The reason I joined up though is im in need of a little advice. Looking at my front diff yesterday and found some oil leaking out of my driverside of my diff onto the half shaft. I tore it down and looked at everything which seemed to be fine. Diff oil was just black... and not much grease on the drive gear.... still runs and drives fine. Just anyone have any tips on what is normal and what isnt?

ps I found this place by watching this youtube vid.

Traxxas T-Maxx Diff Rebuild - YouTube

great vid

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Welcome to the madness! Lol I would check all the bearings in the diff. I'm not sure if there is a seal on the pinion or not. Replace to oil with fresh oil and clean everything before you put it back together. Some of the diffs have oil and some have grease in them. Not sure witch one you have.

Tony

Staff member
Moved this thread to the Truck section.

Can you post a pic of the diff, or better yet, a video of it here in this thread? IMO, the leaking has to be an O-Ring that is bad. However, if this diff is like the one in the T-Maxx, they are not supposed to have oil in them. They are only supposed to have thick grease in them. But if this is using a diff like an 1/8 scale buggy, then you should run some 5000-15000wt diff oil in them depending on how you want it to handle.

And welcome to the forum.

:welcome1:

SoundMan28

Thanks everyone. I can post vids and what not. Actually im uploading a drive vid from this morning. To my knowledge it runs 30,000 in the front diff... which I want to say is sealed. Its the same set up as a Slash 4x4. Seems to run and drive fine. I was going to call traxxas today per my hobby shops suggestion....

Tony

Staff member
Calling them would be the best bet. They have come out with a lot of new stuff since I got out of racing. Nothing but 1/8th scale's had sealed diff's when I was doing it. And 30k oil, wow... That's thick. If you would, let us know what you find out from traxxas if/when you call them. However, if you don't call them, I will see if I can find the information when I get to work tonight. I'm just fixing to head to bed and I got busy last night at the base so couldn't do any searching. We will get it done though.

SoundMan28

ok so I just got off the phone with Traxxas and the guy informed me that it was normal to see some residue there. Little strange... Ill keep an eye on it and tear it down in a week or so to take a look. Anyway here is a vid I just uploaded to youtube. First ever from the truck view.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Just approved your post in post #8. The forum will moderate some members when they are posting links thinking it may be spam. After you post for a while, that will stop. I also deleted the second post since it was a duplicate.

I can't watch the video since I'm on my mobile network, but I will watch it this weekend at the house.

mrnatetheepic

thats the same video i watched to find this forum i was trying the put my differential in the right way (i had it in backwards lol)

Top Bottom