Hello From Peninsula, Ohio

Mikecup

I’m kinda brand new to RC planes, I just purchased the Spektrum DX8 gen 2 with the AR8010T receiver, I have a few planes that I purchased a few years ago, but never flew any of them, the HK J3 cub and the HK Yak 54. I also just purchased the mini apprentice RTF version. I will have many questions I’m sure, especially about my new radio. I’m an older guy, just turned 60.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hello Mike and welcome. There's a great amount of good people here when it comes to help. Don't be afraid to post up any questions, silly or dumb... there's no such thing. As for age, it's just a number. As long as you are having fun in the RC world, that's all it counts. :welcome1:

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Mike, if you haven't flow before I would suggest you get a RC Flight SIM first and get a few hours stick time before trying the real thing, it works wonders.

The other alternative is a club with an instructor or a buddy who can help you get it in the air and down again, but the SIM is best.

Mikecup

I have been using an rc sim for my iPad for awhile. Not sure if it’s ok to ask on this newcomer thread but is it necessary to join AMA and also do I have to register with the FAA?

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Hey Mike, welcome to the forum.

You do not have to register with the AMA. I stopped my membership a few years ago when they raised the prices, and I have been hearing about them declining to pay for damages caused by flight failures so I have no plans on rejoining them any time soon. As for the FAA, if your aircraft is over 250 grams, you are supposed to register. I will leave that as is lol.

Mikecup

I really don’t want to join AMA, but I have been looking at joining different flying clubs in my area, and all of them state it’s mandatory to join AMA, yes it is pricey for sure $75 year. It’s funny because I went on the AMA site entered my info but did not join, the next day I got a call from them, they wanted to know if I was having problems with the site, because I did not join, I asked them about the procedures of filing a claim, the lady told me that my homeowners insurance would cover most damages.

Tony

Staff member
That is exactly right, YOUR insurance will cover it so you are pretty much throwing money away every year. Granted, it's a couple dinners out with the wife, but it's the principal of the whole thing.

As for clubs, they are going to require AMA and FAA memberships. That is just the way it is. I remember back in the day when you could fly without AMA and if you broke someone's windshield, you followed them to the glass shop... Sad that it's not that way anymore.

Tony

Staff member
Sorry, don't let me discourage you from loving this hobby. I just have a HUGE sore spot for the AMA and FAA. AMA not so much as the FAA who are just there for a cash grab. joining a club, if you are new in the hobby, is the best thing you can do! Most clubs, especially for plankers, are extremely friendly and very willing to help. The AMA is $75/yr, the FAA is $5 I think, not sure if it is forever or per year, or 3 years, then the club membership fee which is usually higher when you first join than the regular yearly rate. Lets say all in all for the first month it's going to cost you$150. How many crashes can you prevent in that month to justify $150? I'm guessing 1 crash, maybe 2 if you are flying a cheaper plane. So it is VERY worth it.

Oh, and the sim for the ipad, while still teaching you some skill, might actually be doing more harm than good. You are not using your Tx which is the key to using a sim. It's all about muscle memory to learn. RealFlight 8 is fantastic for planes. It's expensive, but like the Club, AMA and FAA fees, it will pay for itself in the long run.

Mikecup

I agree using my tx in a flight sim would be great, but all we have at the house is iPads and iPhones, I haven’t had a desktop computer for years. I just purchased the mini apprentice, it has a panic button on the receiver for the safe function, so maybe it will prevent a few crashes.

Top Bottom