ESC High throttle warning Q?

Fly-n-Low

DX7 TX

AR410 RX

Skylord 40 amp ESC in a Dynam Waco

So I set up the radio, then hooked the RX to a switched mule battery, bind: no problem. All control surfaces work flawlessly.

Hook up the ESC power up to a flight bat and it gives a high throttle alarm. So I run the trim all the way down hook the bat back up, no alarm. Motor wouldn't run, just growled.. Fixed that as one wire from the ESC was not hooked to the motor. Not sure if that hurt it? I tried it three short bursts, then pulled it apart, plugged in the wire, and the motor spins now, even oriented in the right direction.

Rebind the RX with the throttle trim centered, plug the bat in.. BEEP BEEP BEEP.. Unplug the bat, lower the trim and it works. I get into sub trim, it won't move far enough and I think it limits the upper throttle limit anyway?...

I have another ESC I can try. What a PITA. I finally have the upper wing ready to go on now this...

I think I not only crossed over a black cat's path, but ran over it in my truck! (joking of course) :warning:

RandyDSok

Most ESC's need their throttle travel "programmed" in.... Clear the alarm as you mentioned with the trims, then typically ( these instructions can differ from ESC to ESC, so this is just the most common so read your ESC's manual on this step first )... unplug the battery again, run the throttle all the way up to full ( remember to remove any props, blades or if a car, put on blocks so tires doesn't contact the ground ), plug the battery back in, and when it beeps lower it back down to the bottom again, it should beep again if set. That is the most common steps to set throttle range in an ESC... but also it can differ.

Fly-n-Low

I guess I am spoiled from the "buy it off the shelf super store" planes. Even the kits I have bought before from the same place were seamless once you have everything mounted and ready.

Going to look it up in the WWW and see if I can find a programing guide... Kind of surprised I don't have one.

Fly-n-Low

Thanks Randy as that was the trick!... I have done this before... Getting old and forgotten...? Like you said, throttle up, etc. I found the manual on a PDF on my putter!

Everything is working fine now.. Less I think the brake is on? Fixing to mount the RX in its place, mount the wing, hook up the nav lights...

I'll have the maiden on video just for entertainment! :warning:

RandyDSok

Good to hear that was the issue...

Ok... Got to add this to what I said. I explained the process but avoided using the more technical terms to what that is called.... It's called setting the throttle end points ( for the high and low throttle settings ). It was tough to not use the proper terms and just explain it so just about anyone no matter their experience level would understand. So now, perhaps they will not only hear about how to do it, but know what it's called so if they see it mentioned again, they understand what is being mentioned.

BTW, I think Fly-n-Low would have known what I was talking about if I'd just said to set the throttle end points... but I didn't want to take that chance nor have anyone else reading this to not understand the process.

Top Bottom