HobbyEagle A3 Super II flight stabiliser

Smoggie

Smoggie submitted a new Article:

Hobbyeagle A3 Super Ii Flight Stabiliser

I wasnt sure where to post this, hope it's ok here.....

I recently picked up a 'Hobby Eagle A3 Super II' flight stabiliser. I got it locally but these things are available from a number of places including Banggood for about $27, or a bit more if you want the programming box (highly recommended)
SKU226073-4.jpg

These things are far more advanced than any of the stabilisers I've tried before:
Features
  • Works with all major receiver brands including Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, JR, Tactic, and more.
  • Integrated design of 6-axis (3 gyro+3 accelerometers ) 32-bit MEMS sensor for self-stability and self-balance.
  • Advanced brown-out fast recovery ability provides better security and reliability.
  • 6 flight modes: Normal Stabilization, 3D Attitude Locking, Auto-balance, Auto-Hover, User Defined, and Gyro Deactivated Modes.
  • 2 stick control modes: Manual Mode(MM) and Auto Mode(RR/AR).
  • Various wing types: 1AIL+1ELE, 2AIL+1ELE, 1AIL+2ELE, 2AIL+2ELE, delta-wing and V-tail.
  • Independent gyro gain adjustment and gyro ratio selection for each flight mode.
  • Separate adjustments for servo travel limits.
  • Up to 333Hz servo operating frequency, compatible with all analog and digital servos.
  • 5-level response rate setting allows you to use it on gas-powered planes.
  • Compatible with HV (7.4V) receivers and servos.
  • Flat or upright mounting orientations.
  • Newly designed config GUI makes gyro setup simple and intuitive.

The features most people will be interested in are the flight modes. You have the standard 'Rate' flight mode that is like most other 'AS3X' type rate gyro stabilisers, it makes the plane resistant to getting buffeted about by wind and generally makes flight smoother. Where it gets interesting is the other modes offered:
  • 3D Attitude Locking: This mode basically locks the plane in any attitude you put it in. So for example if you put the plane in a nose up knife edge and release the sticks it will be locked in that attitude, same goes if you put a 3D plane in a harrier, the controller locks it in that attitude.
  • Auto-balance: This is like a panic recovery 'rescue' mode that instantly flips the plane into level flight.
  • Auto Hover: Does what the name suggests, flips the plane into a hover and holds it in the vertical position leaving you do do only throttle control.

I installed the stabiliser in a Hobbyking MX2 EPP/wood composite 3D model the kit for which I'd had since getting it in a Hobbyking sale a while back (great 3D plane by the way!):
DSCN1973.jpg

DSCN1972.jpg

Setup was pretty easy considering the controllers advanced features. It's made a lot easier with the programming box as you can plug that in at the field so no need to lug a laptop around with you. It takes a little while to get the gains dialled in but even after only a few flights the MX2 was showing the potential of this little gizmo. Here's a brief video on the first flight after getting the gains somewhere close. The first few clips are showing the Auto-hover mode (mode 3 on my Tx) and the last clip shows '3D attitude locking' used in knife edge flight (mode 2 on my Tx). You will hear the voice alert on my Tx when I switch modes.

Once I build a bit more confidence in the stabiliser I'll try bringing those hovers and knife edges right down to ground level, maybe even the allusive hover catch!. Hopefully the video gives an idea of the unit's potential.

And before anyone says... yeah I know it's cheating :rolleyes:

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stambo

And before anyone says... yeah I know it's cheating :rolleyes:

It wasn't that long ago that putting a gyro on a helicopter was cheating.
If you have fun with it and it gives you a bit more confidence to do what you normally would not, I say go for it. :)

I wonder if one of these would make my wing fly, hmmm.
Maybe I will re purpose one of the KK2s that I have lying around.

Smoggie

So the wind eventually stopped howling and I got out to try a few more flights with the MX2 and the HobbyEagle stabiliser.. This thing is amazing! The hover mode is pretty much nailed. I had it hovering literally on the ground, touching the rudder down, i also did a couple of hover catches.

here's a short video clip which isn't the best as i didn't have the camera angles low enough to get the whole model in frame when it was close in, but you get the idea. the tail touches ate around 30 seconds in and the hover catch is 1:25

trainrider06

So the wind eventually stopped howling and I got out to try a few more flights with the MX2 and the HobbyEagle stabiliser.. This thing is amazing! The hover mode is pretty much nailed. I had it hovering literally on the ground, touching the rudder down, i also did a couple of hover catches.

here's a short video clip which isn't the best as i didn't have the camera angles low enough to get the whole model in frame when it was close in, but you get the idea. the tail touches ate around 30 seconds in and the hover catch is 1:25

That looks fun!

Smoggie

Some more flying with the Hobby Eagle stabiliser today:
[video=youtube_share;wGL5I8esuwA]https://youtu.be/wGL5I8esuwA[/video]

Smoggie

Tony,
No not yet. I ordered one for my ExtremeFlight Edge 540 but it went missing in shipping, so I'll have to order another. I'm sure it will work just as well in a balsa plane, plenty of others have used them that way.

Tony

Staff member
Right on. I'm thinking about these for tight quarters flying. My planes wing rock from hell (could be the operator lmao) and I need something to help stabilize it so I don't hit a house or a tree lol.

Smoggie

The Hobbyeagle is the way to go Tony. they are a little quirky to set up but I can give you a few tips based on what i've learned.

Tony

Staff member
I'm waiting to see if my vendor will send me one lol. I'm still waiting on the servos to come back into stock, and my shocks to ship, then I will hit them up and see if they will send it to me. I will do the first test on the RCH Edge 540 first before I put it on my planes that I actually care about lmao.

Top Bottom