General Hovercraft

Was at work thinking, I have a couple of spare motors laying around, and wondering what I could build with them for times when its too wet or windy to get the plane or helicopter up.
So I was thinking of having a go at a hovercraft.
I'm trying to work out though what should I use for the skin underneath? I need something that will be slick, but also be capable of holding a certain amount of air. It shouldn't be too hard to find, just wanting to know if anyone has any ideas?

Derek

that's awesome! What an idea!!!

for the skirt, you could probably use an old tarp or durable trash bag.

I wanna see this thing. I hope you do build it. Even if it doesn't work the first time....that's how ya learn!!!

I had one as a kid, just a mass produced one you could buy from Kmart. It wasn't too bad, but I really want to build one from scratch!!
I was thinking something with a bit more rubber and flex, but the tarp idea just may work...
If i have that, and then use some foam or similar to give it a bit of extra bouyancy just in case.
i really think I could pull this off.

Tony

Staff member
I have been working on a plan to do this for a long time. Have a lot of ideas. Just need to find the time to actually do something with it lol.

Am going to sit down tonight and try and do some drawings and plans.
Any ideas Tony happy to hear and share!
I am trying to keep this thing looking neat as well, might forget about neat for now and just go with working

Derek

that sounds like a plan....just start with "functionality"....then work on "cosmetics".

Yeah...
I've got images in my head. Just working out how i'm going to do the "lift" fan.
I think when I get home I will sit down and do some drawings and work it out.
Also electric on nitro.... hmmm.....
So considering this will have props on it, and it kinda flies have I put it in the right section? ;)

thanks for that Lee!!
I had seen some of his stuff when I was doing a quick look at work yesterday. didn't get the chance to sit down last night and have a proper look and plan. hopefully tonight I will have the chance!
am going to have a bit of a play at work while i'm at it as well... just see how busy we get

wolfman76

Can't believe i never saw this thread Jonathan. ... I am using an old pillow case coated in black rubber cement. .. with 3/8th brass grommets for good air flow. ..

xokia

I built one of these when I was 12. The problem I had back then was the skirt. Nothing really worked that well to create a good seal. What happens is the parts that don't seal well drag on the ground and then wear out and the seal gets worse over time. What ended up working for me was just a bicycle innertube. I used one of those thorn proof tubes so the rubber was thick. I pumped it up and glued it to the bottom of the craft. Its cheating but it worked awesome! I just had one gas powered motor out the back with a duct at the bottom that took some of that air and forced it down.

The other thing is in order to get good steering control you need to create a cylindrical duct around the blade. The more you can focus this air to ONLY blow through the directional rudders the better control of the craft you will have. Good luck!

Thanks guys!!
Sorry i've been away for a while. Jr keeping me busy... well actually the mrs is keeping me busy and way from doing the things I enjoy... but things are changing again, and am slowly getting back into it.
I will have to have a look at this again

wolfman76

Welcome back jon what have you come up with so far on your hovercraft? I am finishing up the skirt on mine I will post updated photos on my thread for mine tonight

ForumRunner_20140705_131337.png

wolfman76

I just love when forum runner says loading your photos crashes but it loads still

ForumRunner_20140705_131713.pngpink side is the bottom of the main deck

ForumRunner_20140705_131713.png

Thanks lads!! Good to be back!!
I am now able to start getting back into it all which is awesome!!
Already had some bashing around with my truck so am enjoying things again

Top Bottom