HOW-TO Configure Phoenix Flight Simulator - by Marius S

stokke

To get the most out of your Phoenix flight simulator you will need to set it up correctly.

This will be covered:

• Configuring your transmitter
  • Calibrating the transmitter
  • Learn to adjust settings according to skill level

The guide is intended for:

• Phoenix flight simulator 3.0 or later
  • Spektrum transmitter

What's being used for demonstration:

• Phoenix flight simulator 4.0
  • Spektrum DX7S

Start by creating a new model in your transmitter

Choose helicopter (you may fly fixed wing afterwards, so relax).
P1010761.JPG

Give the new model a name.
P1010762.JPG

Choose 1SERVO or 90° from the swash type setup.
P1010764.JPG

Inhibit the AUX and GEAR functions.
P1010765.JPG

Enable flight mode and Throttle hold.
P1010766.JPG

Configuring the new model

Find your servo menu.

Increase your Aileron travel to max (max may vary from transmitter to transmitter, on mine it's 150).
P1010767.JPG

Increase your Elevator travel to max (max may vary from transmitter to transmitter, on mine it's 150).
P1010768.JPG

Increase your Rudder travel to max (max may vary from transmitter to transmitter, on mine it's 150).
P1010769.JPG

Find your D/R (dual rates) menu.

Increase your Aileron D/R to max (max may vary from transmitter to transmitter, on mine it's 125).
P1010770.JPG

Increase your Elevator D/R to max (max may vary from transmitter to transmitter, on mine it's 125).
P1010771.JPG

Find your throttle menu (throttle end points).

Leave it at the default values: 0-25-50-75-100
P1010772.JPG

Find your pitch menu (pitch end points).

Leave it at the default values: 0-25-50-75-100
P1010773.JPG

Find and inhibit your gyro function
P1010774.JPG

Calibrating the transmitter in the software.

Leave the new model as the selected model, then turn off your transmitter. Connect the USB cable to the computer and in the transmitters TRAINER port. The transmitter will now come to life.

In the software; choose SYSTEM and then SETUP NEW TRANSMITTER.
P1010774A.jpg

Cycle through the instructions on screen. When you see the below picture, center your transmitter sticks.
P1010774B.jpg

After stirring the sticks around, you should have five bars light up.
P1010774C.jpg

After doing the next steps, choose your transmitter from the list.
P1010774D.jpg

You are now almost ready to fly. Choose a random bird (preferably a large 700 size), then try to fly. Check that all stick inputs translates to the correct flight behavior. With the current settings it might be hard to fly, but this is only a test flight for correct input.

P1010774E.jpg

If for some reason the bird does not fly as expected, you might need to go into your transmitters servo reversing menu. E.g. the bird tilts to the left when given right stick input; try reversing the AILERON or PITCH servo in your transmitter. If bird tilts forwards when given backwards stick input, reverse the ELEVATOR.

With Spektrum receivers, this should work "right out of the box".

When you know all input translates correctly to the simulator, proceed with the next step.

Adjusting difficulty settings.

Choose MODEL and EDIT.
P1010774F.jpg

Use the slider on the "SETUP WHEEL" to adjust for difficulty.
P1010774G.jpg

Now, go back to your servo travel - adjust it back to the default 100 setting.
Do this for AILERON, ELEVATOR and RUDDER.
P1010775.JPG

Go back to your D/R, set it back to the default 100 setting for all functions (AILERON, RUDDER, ELEVATOR).
For beginners I suggest adding about 20 points of exponential on ELEVATOR and AILERON.
P1010776.JPG

Find your THROTTLE menu.

For now, leave the throttle in NORMAL MODE at 0-25-50-75-100.
P1010777.JPG

Set the throttle in IDLE UP at 100-95-90-95-100.
P1010778.JPG

Set the throttle in THROTTLE HOLD at 0-0-0-0-0.
P1010779.JPG

Find your PITCH menu.

Set your pitch end points in NORMAL MODE to 40-45-50-75-100.
P1010781.JPG

Leave the pitch end points in IDLE UP at default: 0-25-50-75-100.
P1010782.JPG

Leave the pitch end points in THROTTLE HOLD at default: 0-25-50-75-100.
P1010783.JPG

You are now ready to start flying!

When you start to manage flying, you should start making it more difficult. First use the "SETUP WHEEL" described under "adjusting difficulty settings".

When you want it even harder, start increasing the servo travel in your servo menu.

You should also strive to fly with the least amount of exponential.

Do NOT increase the difficulty before you MASTER flying at your current level.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Derek

Oh wow!!! That was good! I needed this write up about 6 months ago. Nice job buddy!!!

Graham Lawrie

Most of your second section can be done under the detailed section of edit model attributes, and dose not need to be done on the TX.

I found if i altered the copy version on the Phoenix TX settings it helped me a lot. eg: SYSTEM-YOUR CONTROLS-EDIT PROFILE, then you can set it to what you want. As a beginner i found putting CYCLIC PITCH & ROLL to 20,80 and 25% curve worked well, also TAIL ROTOR 20,80. Then MODEL-EDIT-PHYSICAL-100%, then MAIN ROTOR-MIN PITCH 0, MID 3, MAX 7. That made controlling the heli a lot better.

stokke

Most of your second section can be done under the detailed section of edit model attributes, and dose not need to be done on the TX.

I found if i altered the copy version on the Phoenix TX settings it helped me a lot. eg: SYSTEM-YOUR CONTROLS-EDIT PROFILE, then you can set it to what you want. As a beginner i found putting CYCLIC PITCH & ROLL to 20,80 and 25% curve worked well, also TAIL ROTOR 20,80. Then MODEL-EDIT-PHYSICAL-100%, then MAIN ROTOR-MIN PITCH 0, MID 3, MAX 7. That made controlling the heli a lot better.

Your approach does exactly what I do in the transmitter, only your way needs a bit more technical insight and experimenting. Both methods are perfectly usable to adjust for model handling.

salem502003

Thanks Marius thats just what i needed plain & clear well done. Is it the same setup for the dx6i as a good pal of mine uses that TX & has just bought the phoenix would appreciate any help with that set up again many thanks Paul

stokke

Thanks Marius thats just what i needed plain & clear well done. Is it the same setup for the dx6i as a good pal of mine uses that TX & has just bought the phoenix would appreciate any help with that set up again many thanks Paul

You're welcome buddy ;D

It will be exactly the same procedure with any Spektrum transmitter - but you might find that the layout of menus and functions are a bit different than pictured in my guide. Let us know if you run into problems.

salem502003

You're welcome buddy ;D

It will be exactly the same procedure with any Spektrum transmitter - but you might find that the layout of menus and functions are a bit different than pictured in my guide. Let us know if you run into problems.

Thank you again my friend just perfect will try set up after work Cheers Paul.

Tony

Staff member
Moved and stickied this in the Paid Simulator section. Great write up once again!

Microbus

Thanks for this information. I just picked up the Phoenix 4 because my RealFlight Basic didn't have enough copters for me. Having this reference really helps to know I got it set up properly.

tomtnt

Many thanks,that set of instructions helps tremendously.I actually can sim with fewer crashes.PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,just as soon as I feed my lizards.Happy trails!

canongraphy

Does it matter if you use the DX5e that came with my P4 or is it better to use my DX8?
I know with the DX5e I would have to set it up in the system settings since there is no screen on the 5e
Just curious if it matters which you use. Although setting it up on the DX8 is definitely quicker and easier.
I have been using the 5e currently, didn't even consider using my Dx8 until reading this thread

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I will use the same nick online with Phonex4 canongraphy

stokke

You should def use the DX8 as I presume this is the Tx you're gonna use when u fly your helis?

Your brain will get familiar with the Tx you use one the sim - this is very useful when you get out in real life afterwards. Also, this guide will help you set up with the DX8 a lot easier than with the Dx5.

And of course: you'd want at least 6 channels when flying CP helis on the sim.

Westy

LEGEND
you can get away with using the key pad for throttle hold if needed .... If you have only 5 channels ...

canongraphy

You should def use the DX8 as I presume this is the Tx you're gonna use when u fly your helis?

Your brain will get familiar with the Tx you use one the sim - this is very useful when you get out in real life afterwards. Also, this guide will help you set up with the DX8 a lot easier than with the Dx5.

And of course: you'd want at least 6 channels when flying CP helis on the sim.

Thanks marius! Yes I will use my DX8 with my heli for sure. so I can sell my DX5e lol everything is working but I noticed the TH doesn't light up or popup in the sim but does work, no biggie but it did with the DX5e but it came with the sim.
Is that right or is something not right? I redid it a couple times but no change, like I said everything works correctly, just doesn't tell me on screen when its on like the 5e did.
Thanks!

Westy

LEGEND
just make sure the mapping is assigned in hte sim in set up my transmiter and edit me Transmitter ....and it should light up :)

Tony

Staff member
If you go into the RealFlight section, there is a sticky in there and in the first post, I have two files for the DX8. They are labeled for RealFlight, but work perfectly with Phoenix as well. You will need to do some remapping of the controls, but uploading the program will take a lot of the work out of it. There are two, one for heli and one for plane. This will get your switches working correctly when you are flying.

stokke

Thanks marius! Yes I will use my DX8 with my heli for sure. so I can sell my DX5e lol everything is working but I noticed the TH doesn't light up or popup in the sim but does work, no biggie but it did with the DX5e but it came with the sim.
Is that right or is something not right? I redid it a couple times but no change, like I said everything works correctly, just doesn't tell me on screen when its on like the 5e did.
Thanks!

As long as TH is functioning from the Tx, I wouldn't start messing with it ;)

Top Bottom