Trucks HPi Vs Team Associated

Hey all,
just wondering if anyone has had any experience with either HPI trucks or the Team Associated trucks?
Hoping someone has had experience with both.
I've worked out that I either want the SC8.2e (team associated) or the HPI Apache SC 1/8 truck.
I like both trucks, I can get the 8.2e slightly cheaper, but am tossing up with the Apache DB as well, just for something a bit different.

Tony

Staff member
If I had the choice, I would chose Team Associated hands down. When I did my racing, Associated was my first choice, and Losi was my next choice. HPI, and Traxxas were at the very bottom of the list. Then you have other big names like Mugen that is just top of the line, but you have to pay for it.

If you don't mind me asking what is wrong with the HPI brand in comparison to Associated?
I do really like the Associated, but am curious to know. I like the cage around the SC8.2E for protection.
What makes you lean towards Associated?

Tony

Staff member
Because I have raced associated since day one. My first truck was the Team Associated Rc10T. Great truck. But, IMO Associated, Losi, Mugen, are all higher end where HPI is more mid to low. Think of it like Ford and Chevy vs Hyundai.

I'm guessing then that Mugen is like going European?
Well the idea of having someone who has the knowledge of set up etc of these little kits sounds like enough of a reason to go down the Associated track!
Load her up with 6s and go tearing up the tracks!
Thanks for the heads up Tony.

Tony

Staff member
I don't know much about the new cars and trucks, but will help out when and where I can.

Eventually I'm thinking almost all the electrics are going to be replaced no matter which way I go.
Will keep what's in it until i destroy it, and then go off and replace them with better stuff, capable of more power etc...
I know there is a limit, as you only have so much traction....

xokia

Never had any complaints with my hpi savage. Myself I never liked traxxas or team associated. They always seemed like hot wheels to me. Used significantly smaller and less robust parts when you compared equivalent scaled trucks. So I guess I'm on the other end of the spektrum. It really is kinda a Chevy vs ford thing. HPI isn't low end by any means.

Tony

Staff member
Just an FYI, Team Associated has won more IFMAR Championships than any other manufacturer.

xokia

And that means what exactly? Ever watch motocross? Know who Jeremy McGrath is? He got just about every manufacturer to the podium. Took what they had in a given year and mopped the floor with the competition.

My point here is at some point it's about more then the equipment. Who got more money, who's got better drivers, yada yada. The only real purpose of these competitions is to raise brand awareness that's it. Trying to get any more out of it is really just Chevy vs ford bashing. I love chevy's hate fords lol. At least the old ones anyway I like the new ford diesel trucks.

The idea that I could go out buy a Honda dirt bike the same year Jeremy wins a championship riding a Honda and enter a race myself sounds nice but very very far from reality.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Deleted. Not worth arguing about. buy what you want. I know what is best as I have raced with all of the top brands.

I ended up with the hpi apache, and in the end it was simply for the accessibility of parts here, and also many people commenting on their toughness.
I knew I would start something when asking the questions.
But point taken, and I was aware of the amount of races won by associated. But it all takes time and learning.
Oh well.... I will let you know how this one goes... I plan on an associated sc10 gt down the track....

Tony

Staff member
Nah man, no "oh well". As I stated, HPI is a tough vehicle that is made for bashing around and is a GREAT truck for the people that are just getting into it. When their 4 WD truck came out, it was the only one of it's kind. The suspension geometry just wasn't there to hold it to the track. Maybe they have come a long way since I got out of it, I just dont' know. Don't regret anything because of a discussion on the forum. Just have fun with it. That is all that matters.

Case in point. You don't see anyone going out and winning the freestyle competition at helimasters with an HK600GT, but they sure do sell a LOT of them lol.

Hahaha that's it!!
I kept a few things in perspective, and I'm happy with my choice so far. I have to admit it will end up with the associated roll cage on it!! haha
But yeah... so far so good... It looks like it is a good bash car, and think it will certainly do me well to learn and play on...
Plus from it i'm thinking I might be able to get creative with my own upgrades and stuff... homemade stuff... hehe
but yeah I agree... it's all different and all the learning experience... just gotta be happy, and so far I am

I just realised you took my oh well on previous post wrong... the oh well was for the arguement started, I have no regrets what so ever!!
I'm happy, you should've seen the smile on my face as I had the thing flying around the backyard. Not looking forward to cleaning it out tomorrow though lol
Don't drive it over slashed grass haha

hahaha I think I need to do some work to the esc before I hit any mud lol
It's a bit stupid, they make the servo and receiver box supposedly waterproof, and then leave the esc open! haha
but I don't care :)
ESC may be replaced later anyway, or I'll do more reading on how these guys have waterproofed their escs... as I'd really like to hit a few puddles, but yes if I do that, I am aware of the clean up!! haha

xokia

Deleted. Not worth arguing about. buy what you want. I know what is best as I have raced with all of the top brands.

It's ok tony we all get passionate about the brands we feel are best to us. I'm guilty of it to and have a bias towards one brand over another. As I got older I realized that stuff didn't really matter. What was really important to me might not be really important to the next guy. So now instead of try to convince someone I just tell the my thoughts and let them make the decision based on their needs. So its ok with me if your passionate we can have a good disagreement ;)

Case in point. You don't see anyone going out and winning the freestyle competition at helimasters with an HK600GT, but they sure do sell a LOT of them lol.
Now I know you just didn't try to compare HPI to HK right? Lol

HPI makes good stuff they have trucks for bashing and trucks for racing. It depends on what you want to do. Get the appropriate model for the appropriate function. People only call it bashing because the low COG trucks they use for racing are so low to the ground that in order to get over the obstacles they have to bash them into stuff and kinda fling it over. Where the big trucks will soak it up and drive right over.

I'll add that most of the races of yesterday and today benefit the cars made at the time. Kinda how 4 stroke 450's get to race with 250cc dirtbikes. The race was designed for the 4 stroke 450 to replace the 2 stroke 250 thus give it the advantage and let the market canabalize the 250. For RC trucks this usually meant a truck with a really low COG, low weight and significantly less shock travel was what the tracks were designed for. That makes sense because that's the kinda trucks everyone was selling. When you make an entirely different class of truck you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by entering a race that was designed for what is essentially a car with dirt tires and truck canopies on them. Just my $.02

The link I was trying to make with motorcoss Tony is that equipment is only a small part of the equation. Races are for promoting products and getting the customer base excited about the hobby/sport. They do little to prove out which company is better. Which Mcgrath was able to dominate and win no matter which manufacturer he rode. Honda didn't become any less of a company or stop building a quality product when he left.

Last edited:
Top Bottom