I miss flying Airplanes

Tony

Staff member
You guys know me as a helicopter guy. I mean, I work at a base that has nothing but helicopters. But it's nice to just go out and not have to worry about flying, and just have fun. Planes are a LOT easier to fly than helicopters, and can be a great way to get into the RC Aircraft field.

Well last night, I said to myself "Self, it's time to make another plane". Little did I know that I would end up with two of them before the night was over. I have heard great things about the Rc Foam Fighters FF-22. It's a 3D fuse, but is made for a propjet motor. Well, I'm not a prop kind of guy, I would rather fly EDF (Electric Ducted Fan). So, I modded the crap out of it lol. The plans are free from their blog site, and you can print them out, and build your own. The whole plane is designed to be built with 3 sheets of 20"x30" foamboard. With the two EDF motors, I have well over a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. Very nice for vertical climbs. And with no swinging prop to chop off a finger (Frank, you know what I'm saying lol), you can launch it over hand, and not side toss.

The next plane I have been working on for some time. I wanted a full fuse trainer, but I didn't like any of the other planes that were out there. So, I took a tried and true plane and made it out of foam. The Mini Telemaster was the base for this project. I was going to put an actual airfoil wing on it so that I could run it without struts to hold the wing on. Well, that proved to be a PITA, so I put a KFm3 on it. The wing is plenty strong and will support over 3x it's own AUW. I think it looks more scale as well. The motor on it is the Alpha 370 swinging a 10x4.7 prop. I'm hoping that it's big enough to get around that cowl. We shall find out lol.

I promise that my carpet is not near as dirty as it looks in these pics lol.

IMG_0263.jpgIMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Whirlybird

Looks nice Tony!

BTW . . . Fingers are healed and those "Sharks Teeth" remind me to stay clear :yikes:

But I would agree . . . If you are doing a jet, power it like a jet :)

They Look great Tony, nice job, like them both and look forward to seeing them in the Air.
yeah been thinking of doing a Foamy soon too myself,

64impala

Finally T glad to se got to it! I forgot to post the finals of my foam plane. I'm running a400 sport motor with a 8x4 and it takes off vertical out of my hand with no toss lol. The 1047 has so much torque that it clears the ground in like 5 feet when taxiing. I also am running the kfm3. Biggest problem is a plane at 60in ws and only 1 lb auw is extremely sensitive to any wind at all. Hope yours is not so sensitive as it isn't very fun to fight the wind. On the other hand I got another f17 built and it flies great, even got onboard vid with it. Wow I just rambled haha.

Tony

Staff member
Haha, yeah I have the trainer that I build, the FF-22, and I have a kick butt F-117 that I'm going to have to put a LOT of motor on to get it to fly. I'm thinking about making the 117 our of bluecore with CF spars just to keep it light. We shall see though. Oh, and I have other builds that I have plans for as well. But, that is for a later thread. I think you guys will like it though :biggrin1:

Top Bottom