Spektrum I'm lost - Trying to program my DX8

Topgun

I'm new to this game and have a Spektrum DX8 and soon to be Blade mSR heli. Found a YouTube video from a guy on how to program the DX8 & mSR for small room indoor flying. I can't make sense of the information this individual posted below. Can someone guide me through it because I don't know crap and just trying to learn?

It has always been difficult to fly the mSR indoors, in tight spaces. The MLP4DSM transmitter, that comes with the mSR, has a dual-rate, but the standard mode is too sensitive for tight maneuvers. For the Spektrum DX8, I setup a helicopter model with a single servo swashplate. I created an exponential throttle curve that is slightly flat near 47%. I set F Mode 0 dual-rates at: Aileron D/R 70 Expo 20, Elevator D/R 80-reverse 60-forward Expo 20, and Rudder D/R 90 Expo 20. I created an optional MIX1 (gear switch) for Aileron--Rudder, at 55%, -65%. The MIX really helps with banking in small rooms.

Thanks to all who reply!

Tony

Staff member
Hey TG, first and foremost, welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here.

I was just about to make a video on setting up the mSR with the DX8. It's very simple once you do it a few times. Give me a little time and I will make a quick video on flying the mSR and I will put 3 different DR/Expo's in there as well.

As for what they said about the throttle curve, LEAVE IT LINEAR! The only time you should play with that is with a collective pitch heli. The more throttle you give a FP heli, the higher it will go. Lower the throttle and it will go down.

To adjust the dual rate and expo's, you will go into the dual rate and expo menu (second or third one down if I remember, dont' have it here with me). In there, the first number (I think) is the dual rates. scroll down and select your control that you want to adjust. For this example, we are going to talk about the Ailerons.

Move the aileron switch to position 0 and set your dual rates to 60% and set your Expo to +30%. then flip your dual rate switch to position 1 and set yoru dual rates to 80% and Expo to +40%. Then go to position 2 and set the dual rates to 100% and Expo to +50%. This will give you a range of control for the little heli.

Next, do the EXACT same thing for the Elevator. Leave the rudder alone.

Once you set that up, fly it and give it a try. If the sticks feel too sluggish, lower the Expo. And speaking of expo, make sure you ONLY go to the positive in the expo menu and NEVER go into the negative.

I hope this helps and as stated, I have been meaning to do a video on this. I just ran out of time this weekend. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Topgun

OK... I'll wait this one out until the video comes out. I'll play with some settings to get failure with the transmitter. Just so many options with this transmitter I just get lost sometimes. Can't tell you how many times I've reset the model settings because I'm not sure what I've done.
Thanks - Kirk

Tony

Staff member
How about this, I will upload my file from my Tx on here so that you can just upload it to your Tx and go flying. I just did a quick setup and I don't think I even have any expo or DR set in it, but it will get you flying. Just let me know if you want it or if you want to wait for me to do the complete setup. Once the complete setup is done, I will be uploading that file to the article. But we are looking at this weekend at the soonest before I can get it done.

Topgun

Thanks Tony for all your help. I still am learning the DX8 and how to fly heli's. One quick question since you know MUCH more than I do.
My experience level is in-between beginner & intermediate. I'm looking at the Blade mSR or mSR x (both BNF versions, because of the DX8). Which one would you recommend for my experience level or some other Blade Heli that I’m not looking at?
Thanks - Kirk

Tony

Staff member
The only difference in the two is the mSR-x is a flybarless heli. With a flybar you have an issue with it wanting to "toilet bowl" or start rocking uncontrollably in a circular motion because of the flybar. With the "x", it will not do this. Either one is a great choice and if I had to do it again, I would go for the flybarless.

Topgun

OK. I pulled the trigger and ordered the Blade mSRx, 4 port charger and batteries. Is the DX8 programming the same for both mSR & x version?

Top Bottom