Wanted: Intel NIC

Tony

Staff member
This is probably going to be answered by Randy (lol) but thought I would post it out there. It seems my NIC I have in my router will not work with pfsense but the built in one does. So I need another NIC. Needs to be Intel though so it can use it. pfsense can see the nic, I can assign the nic I have but nothing goes through it.

If any of you have one, let me know. The more ports, the better but I can deal with a single port nic. Let me know what you have.

RandyDSok

If I have any Intel NIC's ... they'd probably be just 10Mbit and possibly ISA.. ( actually, I'd actually think they'd be PCI )... I probably have a new Realtek 10/100 PCI but if so... only one of those since I don't stock much.

Tony

Staff member
Was looking for a GB NIC, but since my internet connection is not near that fast, FAST might be enough. But if you only have one, I don't want to take that one from you lol. I sure do wish that server I picked up from you had dual NIC's... Could just use a VM to setup a router lol.

RandyDSok

Hmmm... now you've got me wondering if that isn't a 10/100/1000 card or not...

Still.. it's not a high quality one none the less and you can pic an equivalent up for around $10 for a single port. Intel nics ( 1Gb capable ) are probably around $20 ( and up depending on which one you get ).

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that is exactly how much they are. I'm looking at about $60 for a 4 port so that I can get rid of the Asus router and the switch it has. I have my old Dell up and running with pfSense since it has a dual NIC (Dell 2850) and everything is great. Except for the power draw lmao. VERY high for a router. And when I put my Asus router into access mode, LAN works great, but wifi will connect but no internet. Weird as hell.

RandyDSok

I put my Asus router into access mode, LAN works great, but wifi will connect but no internet. Weird as hell.

Something to check/try.... manually set your gateway address on the clients or at least verify that the GW is set as whatever ip address the router has.

RandyDSok

Hmmm... odd... I don't have an "edit" option on the last post I just made...

I forgot to mention to also verify the DNS settings for the clients

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I have done that. I manually set it in the client to what the server was set to on LAN and still nothing. I was able to swap the WAN/LAN around and the issue stayed at the PCIe card. From what I have read, it's common for the non Intel NIC's to not work well with these servers. The issue I'm having now (beyond the NIC issue) is that my Asus router, when set to Access Point mode, gives me internet from the new router, but although devices can connect to the SSID's on the router, there is no internet over wifi. Very strange.

RandyDSok

If the new router is setup with VLAN's .... make sure that the Asus AP is selected for the proper VLAN group in the router

Tony

Staff member
It's all good. I will work on it some more later on. I might just use a different router as an AP to see if it works better.

RandyDSok

WiFi is certainly more convenient... but I wouldn't call it an upgrade since a wired connection is more reliable and in many cases faster with gigabit being the current standard on newer equipment. I'd certainly never switch to a wireless connection if I have a wired one handy.

Tony

Staff member
I could update my entire network to wireless AC, but damn, that would be expensive lol. I will just stick to wired for everything but just random surfing.

ChopDrifter

WiFi is certainly more convenient... but I wouldn't call it an upgrade since a wired connection is more reliable and in many cases faster with gigabit being the current standard on newer equipment. I'd certainly never switch to a wireless connection if I have a wired one handy.
Horses for Courses

Top Bottom