Misc. Interferences

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I was wondering if someone can shine a light on this question I have. Can solar flares and sunspots interfere with video reception? I know power lines, trees, CBS "Concrete block structures" and other electrical interference. Some days I can travel 1/8th of a mile and somedays I can't even go 100 yards.

RandyDSok

Solar flares can certainly cause radio and video interference .... as you noted, electronic interference of many types are all possibly affected. Sunspots are cool areas of the sun that appear dark. They often have flares, prominences and other electromagetic disturbances associated with them so can be considered a source of some of the disturbances as well. Anything that can be strong enough to take out a complete electrical grid, will have no problem causing interference with a weak electronic signal of any type.

RandyDSok

If you've seen images of Earth in comparison to the Sun... then seeing the size of the sunspots in the following pic should indicate how big some are...

Sunspots_DSC_3978_2017-09-04-On1-scaled_wm.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you much for that information, Randy. I was having issues today and the wife mentioned could be from solar flares. You're so right. I didn't think about solar flares taking out the power grid...DUH me! :homer:

Top Bottom