Is it worth to buy a real Tx for Phoenix simulator?

varadero129

Hi all,

I am an absolute beginner in this hobby, now I'm reading a lot about it on your site (thanks a million for the many useful pieces of information) and I'm learning on Phoenix RC4 with a fake transmitter that I ordered from China. The exact model type is 6CH XTR RC Flight Simulator 6 CH JTL-0904A if it matters.

Now I'm thinking of buying a high quality Tx like Hitec's Aurora 9, that I could use for the real helis as well. But in the beginning I'm looking forward to use it in Phoenix.

I heard that it's not worth using a real Tx in the simulators, because they can be worn out by the course of the time.

I want to ask your opinion about this theory.

Also I have a question about the "fail-safe" settings in the simulator. A friend of mine mentioned that it's not worth learning the basics in the beginners settings, because I can easily be accustomed to those settings, and later when I setup the full range collective degrees etc. setup, I would have to learn the whole thing from the beginning.

What do you think about this?

Regards,
Tamas

Tony

Staff member
Using the Tx that you are going to fly with is a good idea. Not only because it will have a better resolution than that cheap Tx, but also because you will be holding and getting used to the Tx that you will be flying with.

I don't know anything about the 9, but have heard it's a pretty good Tx. I love my DX8 as do many on here. The DX7s is another great Tx. The DX6i is a great beginner tx.

IMO, it's worth it to use your actual Tx.

And you should learn all the basics as you go. that way they are set in you head and you do them automatically when you setup a new bird. It's the little things that will bite you in this hobby.

varadero129

Thank you! So you say "Using the Tx that you are going to fly with is a good idea" then later you say "IMO, it's worth it to use your actual Tx." By actual Tx you mean the real one, not the cheap one that I currently have, right?

And what about the real Tx-es chance of getting worn out early while practicing with them on the simulator?

Tony

Staff member
That is correct. If you are flying with a DX6i, then I suggest using the DX6i on the sim. Gives you a better muscle memory.

And even though I guess you will wear it out quicker, it's not like you are going to kill it in a month. Every time I use the sim, RealFlight or Phoenix, I use my DX8. If I thought using my Tx would kill it, I would not be doing it. But, IMO with the bearing gimbals and such inside them, you are going to be just fine.

varadero129

Okay, sounds great!
And how about training in 3D ready setup even for practicing hovering or the first basic flying lessons (I'm practicing the hovering excercises according to your day 3 and day 4 training videos on youtube). I changed the collective minimum degree to 2, and maximum degree to 8, and also have setup the "your controller" section in phoenix to use only 70/30 % of the cyclic range using linear curve. This way hovering is really easy, though only tail facing to myself.

I know it would be better to setup the curves on the Tx, but this fake one has only one switch (programmed to double rates in phoenix) and a knob, now I don't use that one for anything :)

Will be back tomorrow, it's 0:34 local time, going to sleep.

Tony

Staff member
This is another great reason to use your actual Tx in the sim. When you are using the cheap controller, you do not have all of the swtiches on there that you can and will use on the one that you will use outside. The basic switches include dual rates, F-Mode and T-Hold. The Hold and Dual Rate switches are the most important.

The way you are setting it up seems pretty good since it's the only way you can do it. 70/30 is a good beginner setup and helps to soften the sticks up quite a bit making the heli seem less twitchy.

varadero129

I spent many-many hours to find these settings. I found that I don't really like using expo settings, but I don't know if it is useful to apply it anyway. Maybe I should buy your ebook with all those settings, and that may help me gathering comprehensive information.

BTW the Aurora 9 enables 7 point curve setting vs. the DX8 5 points, do you also have suggestions in the ebook to setup different flight conditions in 7 point system as well?

This is another great reason to use your actual Tx in the sim. When you are using the cheap controller, you do not have all of the swtiches on there that you can and will use on the one that you will use outside. The basic switches include dual rates, F-Mode and T-Hold. The Hold and Dual Rate switches are the most important.

The way you are setting it up seems pretty good since it's the only way you can do it. 70/30 is a good beginner setup and helps to soften the sticks up quite a bit making the heli seem less twitchy.

Tony

Staff member
I don't have an ebook. I don't see the need to charge my members what they can find out for free from me or any other member on here. The way I pay for the forum is through the ads I have on here, and the way I pay for the projects like the RCH 600 is through donations. Even my PDF plans are free to everyone unlike a lot of the other forums out there.

As for the curves, you just make it what you think feels right. I'm not sure on the exact numbers, but something like 0 25 50 75 75 75 75 would be what I would go with in normal mode with a good ESC that has slow start like Align or Castle.

As for expo, check out the video below. There are two of them. The first shows you a graph. I can't remember the way the second one explains it. I will have ot watch it.

Dual Rate & Expo Explained - YouTube

DX6i DR & Expo Explained - YouTube

stokke

Not only do you get a feel for your transmitter when using it with a simulator, you also get to tune directly on the transmitter as you would in real life. Dual rates, expo, curves, flight modes - can all be set up in your transmitter and will apply on the sim. Being able to understand and use these settings are valuable for when you fly in real life.

It's good to hear you fly on simulator, it will help you progress MUCH faster. Good luck :D

varadero129

Both videos are nice. Sorry for the mistake, I accidentally remembered wrong and mixed up your page with another one about the ebook :)

I don't have an ebook. I don't see the need to charge my members what they can find out for free from me or any other member on here. The way I pay for the forum is through the ads I have on here, and the way I pay for the projects like the RCH 600 is through donations. Even my PDF plans are free to everyone unlike a lot of the other forums out there.

As for the curves, you just make it what you think feels right. I'm not sure on the exact numbers, but something like 0 25 50 75 75 75 75 would be what I would go with in normal mode with a good ESC that has slow start like Align or Castle.

As for expo, check out the video below. There are two of them. The first shows you a graph. I can't remember the way the second one explains it. I will have ot watch it.

Dual Rate & Expo Explained - YouTube

DX6i DR & Expo Explained - YouTube

DAL2855

Banned
I know that everyone harps about using the sims but I have found this to be hogwash, as I can do just about anything in the sim, but cannot for the life of me seem to be able to fly the real helicopter for more than 30 seconds. The other day I finally got my 450 into a good stable hover for about 3-4 minutes and was able to get it back down safely but it tipped over on me after landing so back to square one again!

Tony

Staff member
Sims are NOT "hogwash" at all. Sims give you muscle memory and that is one of the most important things you can get in this hobby. The sim will help you in the tip over issue that you unfortunately had. If you are using Phoenix, click on Edit model, go to the basic setting (button on the lower left) then crank up the dial so it's as real as you can get it. If you are just using the lower realizim settings, then it will be like flying an msr with no wind compared to the real thing. Also, knowing that if you crash in real life it's going to cost you money is something else that affects you flying for real.

If yoru settings are high enough, and you have some wind in the sim, it will give you a good idea of what it's going ot be like in real life. In my online sessions, I ALWAYS have a lot of wind. Some people don't like it, but I keep it on there. It will help you out a LOT. However, those that are just starting out, I will lower it from 15mph winds to 5mph to help them get a handle on hovering.

DAL2855

Banned
I didn't change any of the default settings didn't know I needed too or could change them. Yes I'm using Phoenix, but don't have the cord for this radio, I had the cord for the Futaba that I used to have but don't have the one yet for this Turnigy 9x. I need to get the new cord for it so I can get the sim up and running again.

Top Bottom