It's more like," What did you do tonight?"

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well this is the second time in 8yrs that the ammo can, that I charge my batteries in, saved my man cave from disaster. Ladies and gentlemen, PLEASE pay attention and DON'T leave your charging area when charging. I just finished airing the house out with fans, ac unit and windows on and wide open for a little longer then 3 hrs. now. My wife, animals and house are doing fine. Well the wife won't be right in the head for awhile :jk: So my flight story is, If you don't pay attention when charging...you won't be flying anytime soon! batch_IMG_1114.JPG batch_IMG_1115.JPGI was going to post this up on flight story but no pics on that tread. I'm already in trouble with Tony for not having a video of my 550 recently. It's on hold...again :(.

Heliman450

So what happened and why? It's only by knowing the reasons that we can prevent such things. Merely being there when it happens is only a part of the big picture.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I really don't know what happen or why but I'll take a shot at it. Like always I charge 2 batteries at a time in the can. The batteries are old but not swollen. While the batteries are charging, I was playing on the computer and watching TV in my man cave where I have my charging station at. I had to use the rest room which is located 7' from door entrance to door entrance. Next thing I know I heard crackling noise but thought it was the TV show I was watching. I didn't pay attention to the sound but the smell of lipo I recognize from last time I had a fire. You don't forget that smell...well I didn't. As I was headed to the man cave, the room filled up with smoke in a matter of seconds. I covered my face with my shirt and headed in toward the ammo can and at the same time the wife already had the fire extinguisher ready to go. I slammed the lid shut, yank the wires out of the charger and through the ammo can out my front door. I had to get the animals out of the house. Not because of danger of fire but the smoke was too much especially for my pineapple green cheek couture. After animals safe, we started airing out the house. I'm thinking that the battery had to much flight time on it and was worn out from the inside. Being a little ding up too didn't help probably. The batteries weren't swollen and no indication that it was bad. I check out the can with the batteries and harness in it tomorrow morning. We had enough fun for the night. The wife and animals are a sleep now and I really don't feel like messing with it tonight. The only thing I can think of that cause this, like last time, was a worn out, old battery that had enough. I need to start righting down how many hrs I put on these batteries from now on. I fly at least once a week being the park is so close to me. I imagine I put more flight time on those batteries then I'm suppose too. I'm thinking about setting up a charging station out side the house. Maybe my garage. They say 3 times is a charm but the last two time weren't. I was lucky and I don't want to fine out if the next time I'm NOT so lucky :(

Heliman450

Thanks for the response D.O.G., great to hear that all's well with the family, house and home!

I'm only using two 'old' 6S batteries at the moment and my new set of 8 are hardly used. I used to record the flight times for each battery but haven't on the new ones yet. I'll start again for sure.

I have a fire extinguisher for anything that might catch fire during the incident together with a smoke alarm. I also don't ever charge without being present but never really thought too much about 'the call of nature'. I have made some fire resistant boxes to isolate each battery (up to 4 at a time). I use granules packed around the batteries during charging. The link takes you there but it's in German, however, the pictures etc. are self explanatory:

Fortunately, I've never experienced a LiPo fire other than videos in the internet but these are anyway normally staged so you don't get the same feeling of horror when your loved ones are at risk.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I thank you much for that site. I never seen granules packs before but I do now and I will be purchasing some now :). I do put the batteries into a lipo bag before putting them into the ammo can. Still no matter what you do, a lipo fire is one of the hardest fire to put out. I have a fire extinguisher in the man cave plus in the kitchen alone with smoke detector. The extinguisher will helps but doesn't stop a lipo fire. I'm glad I didn't have to use it. I hope that know one experience this but you know the old saying, "Poop happens" lol. Best thing to do is not to panic and always be prepare for what might happen.
I never kept records of flight times before but with all the air time I put in, I'm going to start now. The question is, what is a good time to retire a battery before it blows up? I imagine charging and dis-charging puts wear on the cell too. It's a fun hobby but dangerous too :).

RandyDSok

In lithium polymer batteries... a lithium based crystalline structure called dendrites, grow on the anode of the battery during the charging process. Over time, they grow long enough to short against cathode and cause a short which can result in a fire. This happens at different rates on batteries making giving a best practice pretty hard to judge. This is why it's recommended to always monitor the batteries during a charge and a little while afterword. Always charge in a fireproof location. Some have gone so far as storing their batteries in an outdoor location overnight after a charge session, such as a charcoaler as one example.

Heliman450

That's how the granules work. No idea if they are really more effective at extinguishing the fire although they are supposed to be, I'd rather not do a test.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Placing a plastic bag of sand over your charging location ( if it has an open top )... can automatically release the sand in the event that a fire does start.
Hey Randy. Thanks for that information. Seems like you can't get the granules pack In the USA. I'll take Randy advice and get me some play sand. That should work.

Heliman450

The problem is that the battery pack contains all three elements to support the combustion process so it will burn to completion in any event. The sand will only cover the fire and prevent it spreading, it doesn't smother it to exclude the oxygen from the fuel. I'm only trusting that the granules actually provide another means of extinguishing the fire.

Any other technical explanations welcome.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I got the site to switch to English this morning. It wouldn't translate into English last night. I never ordered from this site. This site is it safe to order from? before I push complete on the sale. I want to ordered 2 packs.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Here's a day light picture of the mess :yuck:. I think if I clean up the wires and the battery, that didn't burn up, it should be fine to use :lmao:batch_IMG_1116.JPG

Heliman450

The site is fine, it's my local model shop and I usually pick up my stuff rather than having it sent. There are also smaller sized bags so I never transfer them into another bag. Each battery has a one litre bag and I also use a larger bag over them all if I'm charging multiple batteries. Here's a photo of one of my boxes ready for the next use sometime soon (I hope).

Attachments

• Charging Box.jpg
    Charging Box.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Heliman, I will place my order then. As for your box, awesome, fire retardant gypsum board you use. You got me thinking now. Thanks for all the helpful advice. I just want to make it safer for me and the family :).

Heliman450

My pleasure. The more we share the better it is for all. I also have two LiPo Firesafes that are lined with the same stuff, one with compartments, the other without. I use them for the longer term storage of batteries not in use. Now that I have such a mega charging case, I was also toying with the idea of using one in my van and doing the charging at the clubhouse rather than at home. That's something for the coming season :banana:

Tony

Staff member
Just to be clear, the "I'm in trouble with Tony" in the first post, is a joke lmao. Just in case anyone had questions about that. It's been a running joke since the site was first launched.

But Ivan, damn bro, very lucky you had it in that can. If I showed my battery storage, I would be crusified on here lmao. But, I have been thinking about setting up a dedicated place in my office that is made with concrete backer board for 5 of the 6 sides (open in the front, but guess I could make a door), and have a rack above for sand.

As Phil stated, a Lipo will keep burning, even if smothered. The sand is, as he stated, to contain it, and smother it out when it no longer has everything it needs. Hell-of-a mess it will make with the sand, but it's better than using a front end loader to clear up what is left of your house. Definitely has me thinking, especially as I think I'm about to step back into the hobby.

Admiral

Glad to hear your all safe, I may have to look at the way I charge. I only ever charge at 1C, I charge on a steel boilermakers bench in the garage and I have a fire extinguisher on hand. But what happened to you is a worry.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you everyone for the concern of my family, I appreciate it :). I wasn't going to post the incident but then I figure, even with 8 yrs in this hobby and I think I'm very careful charging and storing, you just never know when poop will hit the fan. I'm still cleaning from last night. The smell, soot just makes for uncomfortable environment. I'm pretty much done doing my house chores lol. This will be the last time I will charge in the house. I'm in the process of purchasing wire harness and balance board. I'm also designing a new charging station...portable. For out door use. I can't take any more chances. The 3rd time might not be a charm. With my wife being disable too like my self, we don't need any more drama in our life. Getting to old for this. I just want everyone one to know that, maybe you think this won't happen to you...think again. Why do you think they call it an accident? Be careful and think safe. You might not get a second chance.

BTW. It's all in good fun between me and Tony. I'm not getting into trouble not making a 550 video. We're :jk:

Heliman450

Glad to hear your all safe, I may have to look at the way I charge. I only ever charge at 1C, I charge on a steel boilermakers bench in the garage and I have a fire extinguisher on hand. But what happened to you is a worry.
I'd advise against using metal around the charging activity, why? I had a couple of incidents where I touched cables on my metal shelving arrangement. No injuries or damage apart from a big spark that made me jump.

This is why I use the fire resistant boarding. It's a pig to cut and I used a mask while sawing up the sections. I haven't considered throwing it out the door as an option as it would only result in setting fire to the wooden decking on the terrace and I'd probably get burned in the process :bellyroll:

Top Bottom