450 It's off to the paint shop

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Morning everyone, do hope your Thanksgiving was that good as in the past. :peaceful: As you can see Hulk Jr. is getting ready for that paint job. He's covered in Scotch Brand Clear Packing Tape. I got a Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover (Paint + Primer) Gloss "Colonial Red" from Walmart. Don't worry I'll get those wrinkles out on the tail section before painting. I cut up a 3x5 card to cover the third crew member's compartment. When dry will make a jump seat with console for it. Then cover with a clear plastic dome. Landing gear assembly can be removed prior to painting. Whole Sky Crane will be in red including the cockpit and turbines that way don't have to mask it off. Then I'll hand paint these areas with acrylic colors to showcase the details. Decals with lettering will make on my computer. Had to re-order servos because they sent me the wrong ones:emono:. Wasn't a happy camper, Got ones with plastic gears when I requested metal. So that will slow the process a little. But it's coming along and please with the results. Your words of encouragement and assistance are greatly appreciated. Hopefully next photos will be a complete Hulk Jr. prior to ground testing:victorious:

Attachments

• 20221128_172451_resized.jpg
    20221128_172451_resized.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 17

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi D.O.G. The fuselage will be red with yellow letters. If I can find a cartoon of Hulk (who's green) will use it :peaceful: . Was going to surprise you later but might as well let the cat out of the bag. If you recall earlier that Hulk Jr. would assume the role of putting out wild fires. At present one of the roles of Sirorsky 64 helicopters are used to drop their load of water or fire retarding mix and fly to their assembly points to refill. The story line here for Hulk Jr. is to stay on station and hover over any spot per instructions of the site commander. For this role he's equip with addition communication, CCTV, larger water tank that has a nozzle to spray in the direction needed, retractable water hose, larger twin turbines, fuel tank and engines. He's more bulky than a regular Sky Crane and belongs to the United States Fire Department. His ID number is 343, in honor of the brave New York City Fire Department who gave their all on 9/11/01. I'm from NYC and was raised in the Lower East Side near where the World Trade Center once stood. My sister who worked in the towers made it out alive because of a fire fighter who went back in the building to help others. He didn't make it. My son is a fire fighter with the Newport News, Va. Fire Department and very proud of him. Maybe that's why I'm putting so much effort in this built because of what Hulk Jr. represents. When the U.S. Army had these birds (CH54 Tarhe) during the Vietnam War. In between two tours in Nam, I was selected for additional training to work on the Avionics. When I reported in country my orders were change due to the needs of the army. I was reassign to a UH-!D (Huey) air cavalry troop as a repairman and door gunner with the 1st Cavalry Division. Fran11784's icon is a Vietnam Huey I flew on. When I first went to his house saw it's markings and said they were used prior to 1966. After that they were changed as to not make a moving target for the enemy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom