It's Time For A Change. Post Up & Help Out Please.

Tony

Staff member
This is the discussion thread for the video I uploaded to the RCH YouTube channel. It is time for a change because YouTube is making it impossible to keep going with their site. Watch the video and post up what your thoughts are on this. Good or bad, I want to hear from all of you.

Video Removed.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
This is just CLASSIC and EXACTLY what I was talking about. They have demonetized this video!!!

demonetized.png

RandyDSok

I'd suggest getting a little bit passive aggressive with them and request the manual review on each one they've marked like that. It may not help initially because the views do decrease over time... but it may make them work more than they will end up liking and perhaps they'll rethink how they automatically define the suitability of a video.

I do find it odd that they are limiting the amount of advertising dollars they could potentially be making ( and of course the contributors like yourself are making ). I can't help but think their methods to automate the "suitability" is likely in error and needs to be reworked.

Another option, but probably not as good since fewer people know/think about it... Start using Vimeo instead for some of the video's... Another downside, the free account only allows something like one video a week or something like that which would further limit the number of vid's you could upload ( without paying for an account that allows more )

RandyDSok

Just read an article about this... it mentioned that they prioritize which video's get reviewed and if the video doesn't have more than a 1,000 views, it's unlikely to get reviewed soon... so prioritize which ones you submit first to the ones with the most views on them.

Another ( most likely unrelated issue ).... Buildings and architecture can and often is copyrighted so you must be careful which buildings you have in a video which are being used for commercial use ( which advertizing on youtube etc does make it for commercial use )... Example... the Eiffel Tower itself is beyond the original copyright timeframe but the lighting used on it is not, so it's still copyrighted. That means that you can show the Eiffel Tower during the daytime in your video ( for commercial use ) but not during the night time when the lights are on.

Since I know most of Tony's vids are in his own back/front yard... the copyright info doesn't apply... but it's still good info to know about when filming in town somewhere since finding out which architecture and/or builds have active copyright protection on them could be quite a challenge.

Tony

Staff member
I absolutely can not stand Vimeo. Making me pay to upload a video to YOUR site so YOU can make money off of it? SCREW THAT!!! But on the other hand, if I stick with youtube (because lets face it, I will never, with my size of an audience, get the amount of patrons to keep this whole ordeal going. Everyone wants everything for free and gets pissed when you ask for a buck. There are those few, especially those here on this site that are supporting the site, that go way above and beyond and help us out tremendously!

As for copyright buildings, I saw that same video. 70 years in France, but the lights were installed in the 50's I think, or 70's, hell I don't know. But that doesn't affect me at all. And if my videos actually hit 1000 views in their life time, it's a good thing... Very small channel an I may be just asking for failure in even thinking this stuff. I guess we will find out soon....

Tony

Staff member
From the comments on the video to the lack of interest here on the site, it is clear that this will not work. Back to business as usual where the "man" screws over the little guy.

Smoggie

Tony I didn't comment because I really know nothing about the subject, but it does seem strange on the face of it that Youtube would chose to remove all potential to make advertising revenue? What's the idea behind this?

RandyDSok

Tony I didn't comment because I really know nothing about the subject, but it does seem strange on the face of it that Youtube would chose to remove all potential to make advertising revenue? What's the idea behind this?

Several ( the article didn't state who or how many ) large advertisers pulled their all of their ad's away from Google earlier in the year. So they started enforcing their "ad-friendly" policies more in an attempt to address the possible causes. Since it's an automated process, I believe it wasn't their intent to go to this extreme, I think their methods to do this are faulty resulting in this mess they've got now. Of course, I may be giving them too much reasonable doubt, but I do know Google has always been a little slow at resolving other issues in other areas that have happened in the past... they are a huge company and changes are usually slowly implemented.

Tony

Staff member
What Randy stated is pretty much the jist of it. The large advertisers pulled all of their ads (and everyone took a hit) and told youtube they must change and youtube bent over and took it. They worked on this algorithm which they implemented not long ago and it is pulling monetization for anything the bots feel is not suitable for their advertisers. Even though AI is not to the point of doing this accurately just yet, they still went forward with it killing a lot of channels. Channels which some rely on to keep things going, like RCH.

Tony

Staff member
So youtube just sent me a survey which pretty much was based around the issues that we are having with them right now. I don't normally do these surveys but I did this one. We will see where this goes. I'm thinking nowhere.

Top Bottom