ESC Kosmik question

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I have a Kosmik 170, LED 1 flashes red, LED 2 flashes green back and forth rapidly. Tones all seem normal, but motor will not run. Is this a low battery error?

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I've been through the manual, doesn't really tell what that means. This is only my second Kontronik ESC. Had no issue with the first. I think I'm just missing something simple.
T

Smoggie

Have you checked that you are getting a closed throttle signal from the receiver? If you are getting a throttle signal it should just be a matter of doing a 'Mode 1' to calibrate the ESC then a 'Mode 4' to put the ESC into heli governor mode.

RandyDSok

I've been through the manual, doesn't really tell what that means. This is only my second Kontronik ESC. Had no issue with the first. I think I'm just missing something simple.
T

First read section 3 in the ESC manual... This will refer you to your transmitter's setup ( and it's manual ) and in 3.1 will tell you to set the ranges from 0-100% linearly on the throttle channel. If your radio is a Futaba ( or compatible ), make sure you have reversed your throttle channels output, this is mentioned in the Futaba manuals I've read but it isn't often isn't much more than just a mention so it's easily missed. How you set your transmitters trim and sub trims will vary so I have to refer you to the manual for your specific transmitter.

In section 7.1 of your ESC manual is where the calibration portion of what I generically mentioned is described. I describe it generically so what I say applies to any ESC and I let the user follow their ESC's instructions since those can differ slightly... most will have you start at 0 or 100% and then move the throttle stick to the other end of the travel, which way they have it done varies.

After performing the calibration and reset steps mentioned in your ESC's manual... is where you select the mode you intend to use. As Smoggie said, if using a heli, you'd select Mode 4... an airplane or boat would be Mode 3 ... see the mode chart for others if those are your use case.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well, I got it to work. Not really sure what was up. Just went through the setup again, must have missed something. I've emailed the data files to Ben. I still have the flashing LEDs, starting to think its normal. Thanks for the reply's

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
O absolutely, I sent a video along with the data files of the flashing sequence. All the manual says is "WARNING IN USE" The LED codes are generalized according to Ben Minor.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Got it straight now. I'm so used to HV ESCs I forgot about the internal BEC on the Kosmik. When I removed the red wire from the throttle channel, no flashing lights. But there's more to it than that. It seems the system is designed to use a Lipo as a buffer when using the internal BEC. I had to go into the programming with the prog unit and change the BEC voltage from 5.6 to 7.7v. When I did that, reconnected the red BEC wire, all was good. No more warning lights. With the voltage set to 5.6v, it didn't know it was a Lipo. Hope this makes sense. Just wanted to share
T

Last edited:
Top Bottom