Leveling helis

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm goofing off watching football game and doing a pre-flight exam on my helis before going flying this week :). I go through 2 steps in order to get my helis level. I'm curious If I'm the only one to do this? First I level the area where my heli are going to sit on batch_IMG_1757.JPG then I get the heli level by making sure my main shaft is perpendicular and the main gear is horizontal to the level area batch_IMG_1758.JPG& for the hell of it, I maker sure the boom is horizontal to the level area too batch_IMG_1759.JPG From there I can program my unit. I do it this way because each heli I have sits differently on the level area. How about you? Just curious

Admiral

I only do it with a new build or after repairs, I'm lucky we have a stone kitchen bench which is perfectly level makes it easy, prior to this i used a board I made up with 4 adjustable legs ans a level, if I was building another one I would have only 3 legs it would work better.

Attachments

• 20211115_095616.jpg
    20211115_095616.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211115_095627.jpg
    20211115_095627.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 5

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's pretty cool :hdbng:
I finally got my butt to Lowes and got my self leveling platform together. Thanks Admiral for the reminder. I know you posted that up awhile back but I finally got around to putting one together batch_IMG_1781.JPG

Smoggie

I never level my heli, it's a lot of fuss and un-necessary. I just zero the pitch gauge on the frame or the top of the motor. That way it doesn't matter if the heli is level or not.

Smoggie

Of course the method I use only works if the pitch gauge is kept in the same orientation as it was zero'ed in. For example if you zero the pitch gauge on top of the motor with the face of the gauge pointing forward then you must check your blades with the blade being measured pointing forward and the gauge pointing in the same direction as it was zero'ed in. This is not a problem, just something you have to be aware of when using this method.

Levelling the whole heli works fine too but, it is quite a 'faff' and it's very easy to disturb the heli as you work on it and then your readings 'go off'.

Last edited:

Heliman450

I used to level the work surface but followed Smoggie and zero my pitch gauge on the tail boom. This is always at 90 degrees to the main shaft for pitch setting with blades aligned across the heli. I zero on the motor for cyclic setting when the blades are aligned with the heli.

Thanks for the tip all those years back Steve :arms:

Top Bottom