Local Hobby Shops (lhs) Should Support You!!!

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Local Hobby Shops (lhs) Should Support You!!!

I have done a blog on this matter, but I think it's time we take this out into the world and see what people think about this.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been hearing from multiple members that are saying they are going into their LHS and being treated like complete trash while in there. Maybe they are just there for some information or maybe they are looking for some new projects to work on. Either way it's come down to if you are not going to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars with them, then you are an intruder in their shop.

Well I'm here to tell you, it's not the internet that is killing these businesses, it's the owners and employees of these shops. I have them around me.

I don't care if people are in there just to look, or if they are just wanting information, you can not treat your customers like crap and expect to stay in business. That's not how things work. That ONE customer will leave that store with the way they were just treated fresh in their minds and they will jump on the internet and bash your name all over the place. Not just in your town, but all over the world.

Now I do agree that a "paying" customer needs more attention paid to them while in the store than the person that is just in there for answers. Afterall this is a business and money pays the bills. But, when you are done with that paying customer, don't just go on your lunch break and forget about your other "potential" customer. They will never return if you treat them like crap.

I have heard all of these stories and quite frankly, they piss me off. Everyone is ******** that the internet is destroying the LHS and people are only going into their LHS so they can get info to buy online. Well guess what, stop treating your customers like trash and they just might buy from you. Yes, LHS has a higher over head than online retailers, this is why the price is a little more. But people will look past that to an extent if you treat them right.

I have always said since I started this forum, Support Your Local Hobby Shops! But here lately, the tables have turned and the Local Hobby Shops NEED to support YOU!

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

callsign4223

Staff member
I've noticed that for parts, the LHS is actually usually cheaper for total cost. Most of the parts are the same price or very slightly more than online, but the tax on the parts is cheaper than shipping. However, their horrible service keeps sending me back online to buy the same stuff for more money. I have finally hunted enough to find a decent LHS that I will be visiting more often though. The guy in there is a little quiet, but if you start talking to him he really opens up and will start discussing stuff with you. And if you show interest in something he has no problem pulling out the display model and flying it around for you.

I had to go to 5 bad shops to find the 1 good shop though, and that is just pathetic.

Tony

Staff member
Since this is in the article section, post up what LHS you are talking about. I have no issues supporting those that are good.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Aero hobbies

Lewisville Texas

Rc Zone
Frisco

And Plano location

Love these shops!

Aero hobbies is helicopter grail. Everything you need or need to order... They can even order from companies where you save shipping cost!!! :)

Also they ship to anywhere in the US... I asked about shipping to OK.. For Rc-help helicopter. He said you order today before the mail man picks up, you'll have it at your home next day ;)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Derek

100 miles away is just inhumane...it's just cruel. I'm sorry to hear that brother!!

BOKI

There are no good Hobby shops around me within 60 miles & some are mostly cheap helicopters & some planes! Most of them carry some parts if you buy one of there cheap helicopters! Over heard one shop owner say sell him anything I don't care I'll take his money! They didn't even know to much about what they sold! Had & older Helicopter guy come in & pick up & do repairs for them! I met A Synergy Pilot who was really nice & started helping me out at a local country AirShow! :lol: :twothumbsup:

callsign4223

Staff member
Story of a Good Hobby Shop

Our family has a tradition of picking names out of a hat for giving gifts for Christmas so that people aren't stuck buying 20 gifts and people end up with a bunch of junk they don't want. My mother in law picked my name this year. When asked for a list of stuff I wanted I gave her the shopping list of stuff I needed to fix my MCPx.

Main Frame
Landing Skids
Blade 400 tail blades

I was very worried that she would have a hard time with this. She knows nothing about R/C stuff and I had no clue what I would really end up getting. When I open my package I get landing skids and carbon fiber tail blades and a gift certificate to the Hobby Depot because they were out of the frames, but would have them in later in the week. I asked her how the guy at the shop treated her, and she said he was very helpful and great about helping her figure out what I needed.

I specifically told her to go to this store because I wanted her to get someone that would really help her, and I was not let down. If someone is willing to go out of their way to help someone getting a gift who has no clue what they are talking about, that really shows they care about the customers.

BOKI

callsign4223 ;Got my helicopter Trex 450 Se V2 out of Michigan & my best friend bought it! Anyway I bought it from him & I still buy things for it over the phone at the Michigan Hobby Shop! They go out of there way to get you what you need at a good price & cheap shipping! Really trust them & have been treated very well! Cobbelstone Hobbies Holland, Michigan ! :lol: :twothumbsup: Oh you sound like you know how to get what you like for Christmas I'll have to try that next year!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That's what I'm talking about Matt. Those are the places we need more of around here and throughout the world!

Derek

Yep!!! I sure do wish that I had a place like that around me. It sure would make my trips to the LHS more enjoyable instead of just running in, grabbing the items on my "to-get" list, and leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep!!! I sure do wish that I had a place like that around me. It sure would make my trips to the LHS more enjoyable instead of just running in, grabbing the items on my "to-get" list, and leaving.

Action Hobbies
1071 Middle Country Road
Selden, NY 11784

Elwood Hobbies
3006 Jericho Turnpike
E. Northport, NY 11731

TWO LHS THAT ARE GREAT AND IF THEY EVER WENT OUT OF BUSINESS I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO. THEY ARE THERE TO HELP REGARDLESS IF YOU ARE JUST THERE TO ASK A QUESTION OR IF YOU ARE MAKING A PURCHASE. GREAT SERVICE AND SELECTION. I OWE ALOT OF WHAT I KNOW TODAY TO THE HELP AND KNOWLEDGE THEY PASSED ON TO ME. THANKS GUYS!!!!!

etop8222

My LHS is the Iron Horse, about 5 miles from my front door. Steve helps me with my trains and Bob helps with the gliders and heli's. In fact I will be taking in my 120SR for some repair. There are times when I just have to pay for the parts and the labor is free. I hope Bob and Steve are around for a long time.

BOKI

etop82222; Welcome to the site! You are lucky you have a good hobby shop to go to! I have to shop online most of the time! Maybe I'll find one around someday! The Best & Safe flying!:lol: :twothumbsup:

murankar

Staff member
its great to hear that. you are lucky to get free labor. my free labor is if i do the work.

welcome to the site.

yardner

Bobby Jacks Hobbies
6033 E Hwy 67
Alvarado, TX, 76009
817-790-8824
817517-4198

This is a small quaint one man show LHS. Very good, has always had parts for my Align TRex.
Now you will need to have some sort of people skills when you walk in to the place. He is not a rude person but if you ask a stupid question he will call you on it! but Hey i asked a stupid question and guess what? After you are explained to why that is a stupid question, you learn something, and then he will teach you something and then you will be shown something. Great place, he also has a Very nice young man that works part time that very good with everything that is RC Heli. Go give him some buisness!!!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ohh nice shop!! Bobby jacks cuts awesome deals too..and kits are cheap and come to him one of the first somehow....

Have you been to their field? They have some amazing heli guys and that's where a lot of my friends fly :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Top Bottom