Maiden 450 flight did not go well -- Parts ordered :( sniff

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Today I really wanted to be in my happy place flying my 450. Didn't happen. Got to the field, everything setup, wind was about 7mph from the SE. Spooled up and lifted off into a hover tail-in, and she was not handling well. The heli was rolling a bit to the left, and the nose turning to the right.

Then the wind shifted south and gusted, at the same time the heli started making a noise the then got squirelly. With the gust picking up she was now nose at me and about to flip on her back, so I had to drop the collective and set her down.

Last night I mounted a nice bright green foam ball on the bottom of the carbon tail fin, for tail-in visibility, and a little extra height and protection for landings. Also glad I installed those bamboo training gear thats for sure.

So, now i'm calming down, I check the cyclic and rudder are OK and start spooling her up again to keep going. Then I notice that my tail blades aren't turning. Parental Advisory: #$% *&@#'s #$%@ !!!!

That was the end of my maiden. I took her home, took the tail apart, removed the TT front drive gear box, opened it up and found the front TT drive gear with the two bearings (its the one that meshes with the tail/auto rotation gear below the main drive gear), was missing some teeth. Oh goody goody

Everything else is fine on the heli, just that one gear. So I'm glad for that, or I would now change my user title to "confirmed taco-pilot".

I just emailed the company I've been buying most of my heli stuff from and told them what happened today. I also told them I was ordering 2 more of those gear sets at $12 a set, and that I'm not interested in putting in a ticket on the issue, since I've been waiting weeks for their Tech Support to get back to me on the mcpx I believe I got screwed on. I also mentioned that I'm not going to keep spending money with a company, if they are only about sales, and not service to loyal customers.

Finally here is the picture of the bad gear. Even if they ship today, which is unlikely, I won't be getting the parts until next week. :(

stripped TT front drive gear.jpgTT front drive gear box.jpg

stripped TT front drive gear.jpg

TT front drive gear box.jpg

Lee

Unfortunately Vince, torque tube helis for learning are not the best. Even the slightest touch of the tail can strip those gears. Get a bag of them and be done with it. My 500 and 600 are torque, but the bigger helis have bigger gears, so they aren't as prone to stripping so easily.
Hope you get your parts soon mate.
Chin up :)

Tony

Staff member
Yup, as Lee stated TT tails are not for learning. But you stripped a gear that I didn't think could break. Make sure to check the auto rotation gear as well. It may be damaged too. Good luck and keep at it. You will get it. When you notice that you have a trim issue, sit the heli down, put in some trim and take off again. This is the only way to trim one out that is really far out. I find trying to cross your hands on the Tx is almost impossible with a heli but i do it all the time with a plane. Good luck.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Thanks you guys. I've come this far, not giving up. Heck no. Just for clarification, as I do need it, next time I fly and the nose goes right, I need to put in left = <-- subtrim ?? and if the Ail still rolls left even when calm I put in right = --> subtrim on the dx6i ???? cause it uses left and right arrows not neg or pos??

I talk about using subtrim because the trim button changes on top will not save with the model right? Wish I could afford a nice bottle of whiskey and get 1/2 of it empty tonight. By gosh somebody buy that mCPx package I got up for sale :p

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
You can use your trims next to the sticks, and they will save when you turn off the Tx. Your directions are correct as well. If you have to put trim into your rudder, you will need to unplug the heli and let the gyro reinitialize to reset the center again. But with the 790 gyro, that tail should have no drift at all. I know the one that I just worked on, I didn't have to do anything to that tail. It was rock solid. The cyclic you will just trim it out and go again, no need to unplug the battery.

Lee

I would have bought your motor Vince, but i guess you want to sell the whole thing. And anyway i just ordered one, so hope to see it by next week :)

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Not sure where your buying your parts from but Experiance RC has 3 packs of tail gears lots cheeper than buying single sets! I know, I went thru enough of them! Lol! I never go to the field without a coupe of sets in my tool kit. Takes 5 minutes to change them out. Strange though like Tony said its usually the pinion gears that strip. Not the straight one? Anyways, don't feel bad Vince. Very common on a TT to strip tail gears! Lol

Top Bottom