FBL Gyro Make your own IKON Bluetooth connection for about $11 each

kelleysislander

Howdy All,

I just wanted to share how easy it is to make your own IKON - Bluetooth connection from scratch. The project is simple and fun and very rewarding to boot!@@

The first thing you need is the BT module itself. I use the "CRIUS MWC Multiwii Blutooth Module" - I don't think the seller spelled "Blutooth" correctly, but you get the point! I am going to include some eBay links which will undoubtedly go stale very soon, but I will also give you some search string suggestions to use to to start your search.

Once I got the CRIUS I faced the problem of where to get the correct plug connectors. I measured the distance between the pins, figured it was a JST style connector, and ordered the plugs. They came in and were wrong so I did some more research and found out that the plugs are of the "micro ZH" style with 1.5mm pin spacing

The CRIUS module, search with "CRIUS MWC Multiwii", "CRIUS bluetooth":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRIUS-MWC-Multiwii-Blutooth-Module-Patameter-Configurator-Module-Adapter-s-/121218943093

The "Mini. Micro ZH 1.5 4-Pin JST Connector" connectors, search with "Micro ZH 1.5 4-Pin JST Connector" or something close:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171196817878

The 4-pin Micro ZH connectors come in packs of 10 with the pigtails attached, as well as the matching opposite gender part which we do not need for this. Incidentally, the 3-pin variety of this plug is the one you need for the IKON governor and JR/Spektrum satellite cables, so I bought some of those as spares.

The CRIUS comes with a connector attached that sort of looks like a servo plug - we will be replacing that with a Micro ZH 1.5 4-Pin JST Connector, but the key here is the pinout so we can make the connections correctly as illustrated in the attached image. The CRIUS comes with the correct, smaller Micro ZH 1.5 3-Pin JST Connector - we just cut off the servo looking plug as shown in the pic.

The cost was about $11.00 each based upon $9.39 shipped for the CRIUS, plus abut $0.70 each for the 4-pin connector when purchased as a set of 10 for about $7.00 total. The rest you can keep for spares or your future / other IKON's.

Instructions:

1. Cut the black connector from the CRIUS as shown in the pic

2. Cut one of the Micro 4-Pin JST pigtails as shown in the pic

3. Solder the wires as shown, using the pinout diagram in the pic; the silver parts of the connectors should be oriented as shown so that the pin number (ie. "Pin 1") labels match the connectors. You can verify that the pinout diagram matches the wires by visually tracing the connections from the CRIUS, through the red shrink tube, and into the 4-Pin JST that plugs into the IKON.

That's it!

Now some hints on using the IKON bluetooth connection.

Plug the larger connector into the IKON and power up the IKON; the TX does not have to be on and the IKON does not have to be bound to the TX at this point.

Connect the USB cable and fire up the IKON software and choose File > Configure bluetooth module...

You will be prompted for the new numeric code - the CRIUS default is "0000" - so I change mine to something other than that to avoid possible conflicts with other folks potentially pairing their BT modules at the field - small chance but I do it anyways.

You are also prompted to enter the name of the module - "CRIUS" is the default - I use the name of my model that I use in the TX, then stick a small label on the CRIUS so the modules do not get mixed up.

The red light on the CRIUS will be blinking; once you hit "OK" the red light will go out for about 2 secs then start blinking again. That is the signal that all went well and I've never had one not work at this step.

Now you must pair the CRIUS with your android device before it will be available to the IKON software, so follow your device's steps to do that. During this part you will see the name that you gave the CRIUS appear in the pairing process. Just use the code that you assigned earlier. You can change the module's code and name at any time but it MUST be done via your computer and the USB cable.

Now connect the IKON software via your new BT module - this assumes that you have already bound the IKON to your TX. If not go and do that now before proceeding:

1. Turn on the TX and fire up the IKON as if you were going to fly

2. Fire up the IKON software on your android device and you should see the name you gave the CRIUS appear. I have 5 IKON's so I see 5 choices and tap the one that I am currently working with. The red light will blink for a few more seconds and then go to a solid red, meaning that you're connected and can start configuring the IKON via your android device.

3. ALWAYS remember to quit the IKON android software BEFORE you fly.

Well that's pretty much it.

Cheers,

Bill

IMG_8807_3.jpg

Lee

Thanks for the great write up.
I will be trying this too.
Are these bluetooth modules generic? I want one for my Open pilot FC on my Quad and don't now if this one will work too.

kelleysislander

Lee,

I do know that other branded BT modules do work for the IKON, so by extension...

My local (Dallas, TX) friend on this forum, Gaba "coolbabsi" has used another brand successfully. I think his was the Hobby King one. At any rate, bluetooth is a protocol, meaning that all device manufacturers who make BT modules follow the BT protocol in order to have "bluetooth" on the label, so those should work as well. If you can get it paired with your android device then who the manufacturer was is pretty irrelevant at that point.

On the quad I don't know about the pinout but if you can get a diagram then you're in, 'cause bluetooth is bluetooth!@@

Cheers,

Lee

Lee,

I do know that other branded BT modules do work for the IKON, so by extension...

My local (Dallas, TX) friend on this forum, Gaba "coolbabsi" has used another brand successfully. I think his was the Hobby King one. At any rate, bluetooth is a protocol, meaning that all device manufacturers who make BT modules follow the BT protocol in order to have "bluetooth" on the label, so those should work as well. If you can get it paired with your android device then who the manufacturer was is pretty irrelevant at that point.

On the quad I don't know about the pinout but if you can get a diagram then you're in, 'cause bluetooth is bluetooth!@@

Cheers,

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go after christmas.

krismolleke

Hi all,
I see this thread is a little old, but i hope that somebody can help me anyway.
I just tried this bluetooth thing out, soldered everything like on the picture, but now, when i power up my Brain unit, all servos are going mad! They immediately start shaking and moving. The BT module lights up; green steady light and one blinking red light. However i cannot configure it through the software. I tried factory reset, unplug the BT module, trying servo by servo… nothing helps.
Did I just kill my Brain module or what??

- - - Updated - - -

I got it folks.
It turned out i was using a bad lipo for benchtest. Underpowered, those servos behave like mad!
:poidh:

krismolleke

Thank you Tony.
Now, with this little stress behind me, i tried to program the CRIUS module trough te Brain software with the JST cable. Nothing happens tough; the blinking leds of the CRIUS never change and there is no upload to the module. I even tried to unsolder and switch the TX and RX leads, but no data exchange between the CRIUS and the Brain software.
Maybe a faulty Crius?

Tony

Staff member
Did you go into your phones blue tooth and pair the phone with the module? You can't just do it in the Brain app, I know, I tried and failed hahaha.

krismolleke

No, i didn't. I'm talking about the Brain software in my PC. Shouldn't i first configure the CRIUS through the pc before pairing with a Android phone?

krismolleke

OMG, this is awesome!!
It works! It's just plug and play, like you say. I'm going to fit everything back on my TRex 550 DFC and buy another one for my Compass Atom.
Thanks Tony!
#so happy!!!

Tony

Staff member
You are right, it's awesome. Just remember the flight mode screen on the phone doesn't update until you go back to screens then go back in. I'm not sure on the latest update though, I have not purchased that one. Glad you got it working. Now we need video of this beast in the air!!!

krismolleke

Now the flight modes changes in real-time. I bought the App today and I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.
This is so nice! Before i had to reboot my Macbook in bootcamp to use the software in Windows7. Now, i have everything in just a few seconds and i can do it easely on the field.

Ken Jackson

I built two of them. Lost one in a crash. Problem I had was the settings where completely different when I connected with the Blue tooth and then a PC. Sure would have thought that they would have been exactly the same. Just my observation and maybe I did something wrong.

Tony

Staff member
They should have been the same. The parameters are saved into the gyro its self and not on the device you are using to program it. Did you read the gyro first before changing parameters? I have found that in some cases, I have to read the file first, then edit, and then write it.

Ken Jackson

Been too long ago. I built it off Westy's video. I'm cool with the Laptop cause I don't change much once I'm happy with it. Anyway I've been away for awhile, glad to be back. Got married and moved back north to the Chicago area. Just flew my first flight of 2016 I'll post it in the appropriate location. How's that Ikon working out for you, I was one of the contributing members that got you that IKON. It rocks, right?

Ken

Tony

Staff member
I love the Ikon. Best gyro out there as far as I'm concerned. Just with I had more time to actually fly something. I have had to turn down vendors sending me stuff because I'm no busy trying to play catch-up right now. I'm hoping that once tax season is over and people quit ordering things that they can't afford that it will slow down and I can get back to the hobby. And to all of the members that were in on teh Ikon, thank you again! It still means a lot!

Top Bottom