Making changes to the site

Tony

Staff member
I had placed ads in the header of the forum (at the very top) letting everyone know how to completely get rid of ads on the site, our amazon affiliate link and about the simulator sunday event we do every sunday. Due to the severe lack of use on any of them, I have removed them. I have also removed the donate link in the navbar since absolutely no one has used it and I have removed a paying ad from above threads when you are viewing them.

along with removing those ads from the site, I have also removed the paid subscriptions to the site as well. No activity and also made things cluttered.

This will hurt revenue for the site, but I would have a very clean site than make an extra $0.10 a day...

Jimbo

I haven't been around to have found those things, like donate. This site is worth donating to, IMHO.

Jim

Tony

Staff member
It's more of a clutter thing. All of those banners I created just made the header of the site look way too cluttered. The donate tab cluttered up the navbar and the account upgrades slightly cluttered the dropdown menu when you mouse over your name (on a computer). When we came to this site software, I was all about making it more clean and easier to navigate rather than like the larger sites where there are nothing but ads everywhere. It makes more money for the site, but at the cost of having a complete jumbled mess.

RandyDSok

A little while back you had added searchable links to Amazon and a couple of others... when I was going to purchase something ( on Amazon ) I came by here first and couldn't find them.... so I made the purchase without going through the site here... A day or so later, I noticed a link to Amazon on the very top.... I'm uncertain if I had just overlooked it previously since it was moved from where I expected it or not... Had I seen it.. I certainly would have used it at that time.

The point being... do settle on a layout... when things change, the changes can get easily overlooked. It's also not completely anyones fault... As I'm aging, I find I'm not nearly as observant as I once was. Consistency of a site helps in that situation...

Tony

Staff member
Don't worry, I'm done screwing with the site. what you see is what you get. No amazon, no ebay, they were both unsecured. the banner I made looked horrible so it is gone. And no one used any of the other things mentioned, so I removed them, they are just taking up space slowing the site down. Amazon has 0 clicks, the website is making less than a buck a day and youtube is about the same. Time to try something new.

Top Bottom