Merry Christmas!

Marc

My quick intro: Hello everyone. I've been semi-active with RC planes in the past. I've had a few given to me, built a few kits, and I've built a few from scratch.

My new interest is helicoptors. I have just finished putting together my first kit, a Thunder Tiger Mini Titan V2. I had some issues setting up the electronis but viewing this site and a few others everything seems to be moving in the right direction.

Anyways, nice to meet everyone and I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Marc

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Lee

Nice one Mark, Get some pictures up on here of your bird. Merry Christmas

Marc

I should have done that before going out today. It got a bit windy today while I was hovering and pulled it up pretty high. I over compensated and brought it down too hard. Ended up bending the boom and broke the skid and various other small parts. About $80 worth of replacement parts and another $20 worth of shipping. I'm starting two buy two of anything I break!

Will post a photo after I fix her when the parts come in.

Tony

Staff member
Merry Christmas Marc!

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your less than perfect landing. One thing to remember when it's windy, is always keep the nose pointed into the wind. The harder it blows, the more lift the blades will generate. It's called Translational Lift. The opposite is true when the wind slows.

If there is anything that we can help with, just let us know. You have a great kit there and you should be quite happy with it. Hope you had a great holiday!

-Tony

Marc

Figured I would share some of the damaged pics. I didn't get a photo of it but I broke the bottom bracket and the landing skids as well.

Only going out on no wind days until I have more time on the heli.

Marc

uploadfromtaptalk1324873208803.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1324873256452.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1324873302506.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1324873326562.jpg

Marc

It does but I'm learning a lot along the way. I did some reading on transitional lift and I think you nailed the cause of the crash. I ordered the parts yesterday and they should be here Wednesday night (two of each JIC).

So I was wondering, how that EXI 450 was flying for you? I noticed last night that I could have picked up one of those and everything needed for it minus the flight pack for less than it cost to repair the Mini Titan! Was thinking of picking one up and using it to learn on.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
If you get the EXI Pro, get the belt version. the TT version is not built correctly, and you will have to put some money into it. As for when it flew, it was great. One of the most stable helicopters I have had. if you get one, you will love it. and for $70 for full metal and CF, you can't really beat it. Just remember though, you have to do one of three things on the tail servo. Run a 26g servo, get the tail servo mounts for teh V2 to run a 9g, or do what I did and make a plate so that you can put a 9g in teh stock location. If you get the mounts for the v2, you will also have to get the rod since it's shorter than the Pro rod.

and yeah, translational lift will get you every time when you are least expecting it. Just have to be ready for it when you are flying in the wind. Always fly about 3'+ off the ground if you are comfortable with that.

Top Bottom