450 Mixing Digital And Analog Servos With Kbar Gyro?

k8idx

I have a Gartt 45l heli that I am setting up. I had 3 pretty nice metal gear ball bearing analog servos I am using for the cyclic. I also bought a KST digital tail servo. I want to use these with a mini-Kbar 3 axis gyro. Is there anything wrong with this setup? I Have a futaba radio and will be using a futaba r617fs 7 channel receiver. I notice that there is a setting in the kbar setup software for digital servos. Does the kbar require all the servos be the same digital or analog or can one digital on the tail be okay with 3 analog cyclics?
Thanks people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure about the K-Bar gyro, but Ikon, BeastX, 3GX, MRS and every other main stream 3 axis gyro pretty much require digital servos since the gyro will output a 200Hz signal. Analog servos can only handle a 50Hz signal. This will cause the analog servos to heat up because they are trying to move, or being commanded to move, faster than they physically can. It's like adding way too much D gain on a flight controller.

However, with that said, some gyro's, such as the Ikon, allow you to lower the Hz for the cyclic servo so that in theory, you could use analog servos. But they don't center very well and are not near fast enough for precise control of a flybarless helicopter.

Admiral

In the Setup Menu in the SWASH section you can select Analogue by going to the menu under the teachers hat, in the TAIL menu you can select Digital for the rudder.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for the correction Keith. I never even look at analog settings anymore lol. And I have never even had one of those kbar gyros in my hands lol.

Admiral

Thanks for the correction Keith. I never even look at analog settings anymore lol. And I have never even had one of those kbar gyros in my hands lol.

I've used them on a couple of cheapies, but have moved on to AR7200CX, BeastX+ and now using iKon, they are the ants pants.
K-Bar is probably the best of the cheap clones in my opinion, sometimes when money is short they come in handy.

CoraDias

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my experience you should using matching servos on the cyclic. If one servo is faster than the other then it will mix unwanted controls in Say the rear servo is faster than the front, everytime you push the collective up the rear servo will be faster than the front and cause it to go forward.

Admiral

Welcome to the forum CoraDias, you are correct never mix brands or models on cyclic servos, I also try to buy them in sets of three so they are all the same age, k8idx is using all they same analogue servos on his cyclic so he should be OK.

Top Bottom