Model realism in Phoenix 4...

daved20319

Just got Phoenix as a trainer for the HK 250 GT I'm building. My only experience to date has been with an FP heli and a couple of quads. I'm using a Turnigy 9X radio flashed with ER9X, took some doing, but I finally got it working with the sim. I'm using the Trex 250 model with the difficulty set to intermediate, definitely beyond my current skill level, but I like to push myself. My question is, just how real a representation is this? In some ways, it seems TOO simple, I can do loops, flips, and rolls even in normal flight mode. But on the flip side, when I attempt to practice hovering, I usually end up losing control and crashing. Something doesn't seem right here.

So I'm looking for a setup in the sim that at least comes close to behaving like the real thing. Like I said, I got this program as a trainer, not a fancy video game. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Later.

Dave

Tony

Staff member
If you want close, turn the realizim all the way up. And take if from me, Lee and others on the forum, set that HK250GT aside until you cna fly a 450 quite well. The HK250Gt I had was named Nightmare for a VERY good reason! You have to replace a LOT of parts with Align just to get it in the air. And even then it's not that great.

Derek

From experience, and others will agree, the 250 sized helicopter just aren't for beginners. I crashed mine more than 30 times and never did get a decent flight from it. It's just difficult to fly because of it responsiveness. I gave up on it and bought a 500. The 500 was a bit more intimidating, because of its size, but I was able to fly it with success.

As for the sim, the Phoenix sim has been a great tool for me. Turn your realism all the way up and I suggest you start flying some bigger helicopters on the sim. You will be able to see it better and learn how it will react. Then move to the 250's when you are ready.

Good luck!!!

Lee

Dave,
As Tony said, a few of us have had the 250GT. I had two of them.
The mistake people make when learning is that they think, going up one size at a time is the best way to learn.
Thats ok up to a point, and that point is the 250.
All the coaxials and fixed pitch micros are great. Then you get to the CP micros like the MCPX BL and the 130X. These are harder to fly, but with there flybarless controllers, can be set up to fly in a more beginner friendly manner. And if crashed, won't explode into a billion pieces :)
The 250 is a hard beast to master. Its not a beginners heli. Its twitchy, fiddly to work on, not very durable in a crash.
I spent months trying to get mine to fly as i wanted it to, and never quite managed it.

I never like to say bad things about a heli someone has spent there hard earned cash on, and is excited about building and flying.
I'm sure there are people out there that love the 250 (original Align) not clones.
If you want to have the best chance of making your 250GT fly well, you are going to need to put on the best servos and gyro you can get.
Cheap servos and gyro will only enhance the problems of learning to fly this heli.

My suggestion if you are looking to take the next step from FP helis and quads, would be to get a good 450 size (not a clone)
They are easier to work on, just as cheap to replace parts in a crash. And the most important part, Infinitely more stable.

What ever you decide, we are here to help you, every step of the way.

All the best

Lee

Top Bottom