Quad My Next Quad

bigone5500

I have decided that if/when I build another quad it will be a 3" mini alien. I absolutely love the way it looks. And the thing is, I think I can build it for less than $125. I haven't researched parts as of yet but surely this thing won't be that expensive. Minus batteries, I have about $260 in my 6" quad and probably not much less in the 5". I'm going to get a parts list together and I'll share it here.

bigone5500

I'm in the process of gathering a list of parts needed for this build. So far I have found a frame. I'm probably going to use DYS FC and ESC. Not sure right now if I want separate ESC or a 4-in-1. I'm trying to figure out what motors I want at this moment, which is where I'd like some help. I'll post the two I have chosen so far:

Yoton F20 II 1408 3750kV 2-4S

AKK 1407 3500kV 3-4S

Comments, concerns???

These are the two components I know will be in the build:

3" 135mm quad frame - Amazon

DYS F4 Pro V2 Flight Controller - Amazon

Last edited:

bigone5500

So far what I have come up with is for the frame, props, motors, FC, and ESC totals to $159.77. I would still need a Rx, camera, VTX, and antenna.

So, I suppose size doesn't matter when you talk quads. Mini doesn't mean mini price.

bigone5500

So do I build this on a 135mm or 175mm frame? The 135 is designed for the 3" props but I think with the larger frame I can get better stability.

Thoughts?

bigone5500

Bah... I decided to go with a different frame. One piece bottom. Less to worry about.

Micro Alien 3inch 135mm one Plate Bottom Mini Quadcopter Frame Drone
Amazon product
Motors
AKK Brushless Motor 3500KV 1407 2CW 2CCW 3-4S lipo for FPV Racing Quadcopter Drone
Amazon product
Props
iFlight Nazgul T3061 16pcs 3inch Propellers Props CW CCW for 1306 1407 1508 1606 Brushless Motor FPV Quadcopter Drone (Crystal Green)
Amazon product

bigone5500

So does anyone think the 4s (Tattu 4S 1550) batteries I have now will be too much weight for a 3" quad? Should I go with 3s 1300mah?

Tony

Staff member
For a 3"? Yes, it will be way too much weight. You are working on a 135mm, I have a 140mm 3" quad. I use 650mah 4s Tattu batteries on my 3" quad and they work great.

Tony

Staff member
The one that is on this one is a 20 amp AIO with a 25 burst current.

As for the battery, I have never even heard of that brand.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that is what this one of mine is. Love this little guy. Can't wait to get it on my DX9 with the new Gemfan props!

Top Bottom