My V-R 880 Rebuild - Next Phase

Heliman450

Hi all, having resurrected my smashed up Velos-Rotors 880 to a flying state, I'm looking to embark upon the next phase and fit retracts rather than the somewhat gawky land skid that now keeps it off the ground.

I've located a supplier for the system but unfortunately they don't market a twin front wheel. Any suggestions that can be made would be much appreciated. The following is a summary of the current status:
  • RTF Weight = 10kg with its aluminium skids (to be replaced with the wheels)
  • Wheels won't fully retract into the body to allow for it to stand on them and not the body
  • No restriction on size as the body will be built around them
Fingers crossed that someone can contribute ideas.

Heliman450

Hi again, unfortunately no feedback on this but no worries, I'm about to conclude my order with Electron-Retracts.

They have been great and waited patiently while I explored getting a two-wheeled nose design only to return when the alternative supplier informed me that they are too busy to give time to a custom job. Their loss but good to hear that business is pushing them to their limits. My CFO is ok with the almost 900$US dent in the accounts (plus import duties to come).

Bye for now!

Heliman450

Latest update, photo of the two unpacked boxes of goodies from Electron-Retracts ready for a trial assembly. All parts are present but I'll need to buy some tiny circlip pliers to remove the trunnions first (no direct power connections are allowed to operate the retracts only via the control module).

Attachments

• Landing Gear01_01.04.23.jpg
    Landing Gear01_01.04.23.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Very nice Heliman. I'll bet that you can't wait to get that bird up and going. Good luck and keep the post coming :).

Heliman450

Hi D.O.G., the heli is already flight capable after a successful test-flight last year. I'm wanting to keep it that way for as long as I can before taking it apart to install the retracts. I've made up a test rig for it so that I can check everything before starting the installation phase.

I'm considering the best means of powering it temporarily and if I can come up with a solution that also works longer term that would be great. In the meantime, I'm getting on with a few other projects. Any suggestions welcome.

The motors are powered with 2 x 12S supplies and a separate 2S for the controls. I could use a second, dedicated 2S for the retracts or make up a supply coming from the existing 2S. This needs some thought as it currently has an EC3 connection and the RS-200 controller a tiny XT30.

Heliman450

Hi all, in amongst all my preparation for the summer flying season, I've managed to spend some time working out what I want to do about the power supply for the retracts. I have created a wiring diagram so I don't forget (it's an age thing) and have bought a couple of connections - EC3 to the 2S battery and XT30 for the retracts. This will provide an interim solution while I build the chassis and test all the functions before stripping the heli down and fitting the two parts together.

In the meantime, I can still fly the heli in its current form even though its not wearing any clothes yet :huepfenicon111:

I decided to go for the retracts first before the beautification phase. I have a basic concept for what I want at the end but may change it as the construction phase matures.

Top Bottom