Micro Nano CPX main motor replacement

pvolcko

Provided for your assistance, an example of replacing the main motor in the Nano CPX. This is only an example. You are responsible for your own heli. RC-Help.com, nor I, are responsible if you break your heli.

What you'll need: Small Philips head screw driver that came with the heli, silicone sealant or some other glue that remains relatively soft (I use zap goo), a replacement main motor, tweezers. A small flat bladed screwdriver or an exacto knife can help too with prying things lose and removing existing glue.

1) Remove the canopy. I also suggest removing the blades, though it isn't necessary.
IMG_1960_800w.jpg

2) Take note of the wire configuration from side and top. Not a lot of space so you'll want to put everything back the way it is originally.
IMG_1962_800w.jpg

3) Remove the screws holding the control board in place. Be careful, these suckers are small and easy to lose. Also, do not lose the white plastic washers on the screws. They shouldn't come off, but be aware of them. Putting the screws back on the board without these washers may result in damage to the control board.
IMG_1964_800w.jpg

4) Shift the board around enough to get the antenna wire lose of the canopy stud. Be careful not to move this wire at the solder point much as it may be brittle and break off, requiring you to solder it back onto the board.
IMG_1965_800w.jpg

5) Disconnect the servo from the control board as depicted. If you have trouble, try a small flat bladed screw driver to help grasp the edge near the next servo connector.
IMG_1966_800w.jpg

6) Remove the "white glue" (aka silicone sealant) holding the tail and main motor connectors to the control board. Note which tail motor pin wire is on the outside, it should be the green one. Try to leave the bends in the tail motor wire as is so you don't risk breaking one of the wires re-bending it when reassembling. Again, make sure to note the arrangement of the wiring. On mine the main motor wire was wrapped around the short servo lead for the left side servo. Pull the board away a bit and disconnect the two motor connectors. Unravel the main motor lead from the servo wiring.
IMG_1967_800w.jpg
IMG_1961_800w.jpg
IMG_1968_800w.jpg
IMG_1970_800w.jpg

7) Remove the landing skids, exposing the bottom of the main motor. Use tweezers to push on the bottom part of the motor casing, to push the motor out the top of the frame. Be sure to position the rotor head and wires out of the way. If you do not intend to keep the motor you can push on the pinion gear. Either remove the main gear or be careful not to damage it while doing all this.
IMG_1971_800w.jpg
IMG_1972_800w.jpg

8) Extract the motor from the frame. Again, if you intend to keep the used motor as a backup, do not pull on the wires or push on the pinion gear. Only extract by either grabbing the sides of the motor casing or pushing from the bottom of the motor case. They use either black or white silicone sealant to hold the motor in the frame so it will take some effort to push the motor free of the frame.
IMG_1973_800w.jpg
IMG_1974_800w.jpg

9) Put the new motor in. Use your glue of choice to secure the motor in the frame. I put a small bead in the highlighted area.
IMG_1975_800w.jpg

Put it all back together again, reversing the order through steps 8-1. You can put some glue on the main motor and tail motor connections again if you like. I find that the connections are pressed into place pretty well and didn't bother. If you removed the main gear you'll also need to put a bit of glue on the part of the main shaft sticking out below the main gear. Press down lightly on the top of the rotor head and up on the main gear, there should be no up and down play in the main shaft before gluing. Let the glue set up and/or cure before flying your nano again.

IMG_1960_800w.jpg

IMG_1961_800w.jpg

IMG_1962_800w.jpg

IMG_1964_800w.jpg

IMG_1965_800w.jpg

IMG_1966_800w.jpg

IMG_1967_800w.jpg

IMG_1968_800w.jpg

IMG_1970_800w.jpg

IMG_1971_800w.jpg

IMG_1972_800w.jpg

IMG_1973_800w.jpg