General Need help with Team Losi 22 2wd buggy! New member

Taylor Austin

Hello,
This is Taylor Austin, I am brand new to Rc and i Have a losi 22 2wd buggy. I took a picture of what I have and i also have the team losi 17in1 tool kit.(http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/17-in-1-tool-kit-LOSB46 06) there is the link for that. I just need help with everything I am BRAND new to this. I just got whatever comes in the box which is bags A through F I believe. That is all I have. I do not have a motor, or any of that. I asked the company 3 times and they just send me a parts list. The thing is I dont know what parts I have and what parts I dont. So its kind of useless even though I keep telling them this. I also do not want to spend another 200 plus dollars on other parts. I already spent alot on the car. I am not looking to be a national championship driver but have fun and maybe go to a few events here and there. I would appreciate the help!

Thank you very much,
Taylor

$(KGrHqN,!qEFItwhi8mIBSOz6qFLhQ~~60_1.jpg

EyeStation

Hey there Taylor, Welcome to the forum.
Looking at the Losi site I found this page of Recommended parts and accessories.
http://www.tlracing.com/Products/RelatedParts.aspx?ProdID=TLR0022&Category=Completion%20Guides&SubCategory=Recommended
So, besides the motor, you will need a transmitter/Receiver combo, a good strong and fast servo for your steering, front and rear Tires and inserts (Foams), a 2 Cell Lipo battery and a motor Speed controller.
You got a really nice kit, but you will still have a bit more money to spend.
Don't fret it now. I might suggest getting a servo first so you can at least get the kit built up to a roller stage. Taking your time with the build should give you some time to collect up more funds for the other items.

Let us know what you equipment you are looking at and we will help you make some cost wise purchases.

I think you are gonna love this buggy when it's done.

Maybe some of us ground pounders can dig up some stuff out of our pit boxes to help your introduction into RC.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
For some reason I was thinking this was a used kit. That is a great buggy though for sure.

As stated above, you are going to need a servo. The way this thing is put together, it's best to have the servo when you build it. I'm running the Spektrum S6040 servo on my 22SCT and it's fast, strong and precise. But, this servo I'm running is also a $70 servo.

One thing to remember here is you get what you pay for. Can you find $20 servos that fit this truck? Yes, but you won't like them and they will not last long. Here is a link to a team Losi servo that is not all that fast ).18 60º transit time), but it's strong as all get out and will last.
Losi Extra High Torque Digital Metal Gear Servo [LOSB0812] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

As for motor and ESC, again, you get what you pay for. With that said, here is a link to a 4 poll motor that will have massive amounts of torque. And, it's only $100. Your not going ot find many out there that are cheaper.
Viper R/C Copperhead ESC & VX4.39 4-Pole 540 Sensorless Brushless Motor Combo (3900kV) [VIP6VSVX43901] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

Okay, so you have the motor, ESC and servo, now you need a battery. Pretty much any 4000mah-5500mah battery is going to work in this car. Here is a 30c 2s pack that will keep your car running for about 10 minutes at a time.
Hard Case LiPo Battery Pack, EcoPower Electron 2S Li-Poly 30C Battery Pack [ECP-LPH-5000-2S30] - A Main Hobbies

I'm not sure if you have a Tx or not, but this is going to get into a little money for a crap Tx, or quite a bit of money (my DX3R was like $250) for a good one that is fully programmable. Let me know if you have one and we will go from there.

I know you said that you don't want to spend $200, but there is really no way around it. I was in your shoes when I got into this hobby as well wanting to run the cheapest stuff out there, and when I got it, I kicked myself for not getting good when I started. if you are willing to build this correctly, let me know and I will post up some top of the line stuff like LRP or Reedy motors and ESC's, ProTech batteries and servos that are blazing fast and very strong. And I will still suggest the DX3r since that is what I'm running and have not had a single issue with it.

I hope this helps, again thanks for joining up. No matter the question, if you have it, post it up. We are here to help.

Taylor Austin

Hey guys
Thank you very much, I think this makes me more comfortable to spend more coming from people who actually use the cars than just a company wanting my money. I think im going to start with a servo ( which i looked into and i know now it is the thing that turns and stuff). And start building the car. I will be posting pictures on the build to make sure its going okay and let you know how that is going. hopefully good=)

Thank you much!

Tony

Staff member
I can assure you one thing, Team Losi's reps will send you information that will make your car run really well. If you don't mind, post up what they sent you as a parts list, i would like to see it.

Next Friday at 0800 CST, the latest video on the 22SCT will be uploaded. It will cover the electronics install on my truck. Everything will be the same as yours, just in a different vehicle.

Taylor Austin

Here is the servo i plan on getting. Is this good for the price and I forgot to mention I have no transmitter( controller). this is the servo (I think I like this servo ( Spektrum S6040 Digital High Speed Surface Servo 167 oz in SPMSS6040 | eBay), is this good for the price?
Here are what they sent me!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/1-10-22-2wd-race-buggy-kit-TLR0022#t4 - parts
(http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/dx4s-4-channel-dsmr-radio-system-SPM4000) - transmitter
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/fuze-1-10-4-pole-4800kv-esc-motor-combo-DYNS0707 - motor and esc

Thank you very much again!

Tony

Staff member
That is the servo that I"m using, and it's great. about what I paid for it too.

The DX4s is a great Tx, but I doubt you will need a 4ch Tx. However, you should be able to use this one Tx for MANY other cars or trucks. And that motor/ESC is a LOT of motor. It's also $60 more than the one that I linked to. But will work if you need it to.

Taylor Austin

Okay, well for now I am going to stick with getting the servo and then going to work towards getting all the other stuff!

Thank you very much for the help!=) plan on buying the servo tonight and hopefully get started on this thing!

Tony

Staff member
Sweet deal bro! Most of the build is very straight forward. Make sure to NOT over tighten the balls going into plastic and make sure to set the diff up correctly. I'm going to be doing a new video on the diff since I have had a lot of people asking how to break them in. But for now, the Transmission video I have up will show you how to build the diff.

Let me know if you need any help.

Taylor Austin

Got the servo and started on building it! So far I am to bag b and around step b3 or so. I was wondering if the motor and the other things i dont have will be hard to install if i go ahead and build the rest of the car without them? Watched some of your videos Tony and they helped also! Great work!

Tony

Staff member
Nope, the servo is the only part that really needs to go in it before you start building it. After that, you can install everything else really easy.

Tony

Staff member
Just now saw the pictures. The buggy is looking great. However I did see one issue with teh build. On the turnbuckles, there is a line on one side of center. That line should be on the same side on all links. I think the manual calls for the right side, and I'm pretty sure that is where I have mine placed on my truck.

Top Bottom