General need help with trex 450

taaron777

:)Minutes Ago

Hi. I'm new to the hobby and came here for help. I currently fly 4ch fp heli's. I just bought my first cp which happens to be a trex 450 v2. I got it from a friend who removed the direct drive from the tail and added a brushless tail motor and esc. I will be using a devo 7 and a walkera master cp six axis gyro receiver combo. Will this work or should I reassemble the tail back to original? Thanks for your input, because I'm clueless.

Tony

Staff member
I highly suggest that you put the tail back together completely stock. If you want to use a belt tail, you can get one from hobbyking, but it's a clone POS, but is still better than a motor driven tail.

My suggestion is to get the black TT gears as they are much stronger than the white ones.

Let us know if you need a parts list. We will also need to know what you have now. Make sure to post some pictures of your birds so we can see them.

taaron777

Thanks Tony. Right now it has a 5 blade head. 4 blade tail rotor and brushless tail motor with esc. He was hovering it but not much more than that. I gave a hundred bucks for it. He kept his rx and flybarless system. I'm on a budget so that's why I'm going to try the master cp's six axis gyro combo with the devo 7. That tail just had me sceptical, but he had it hovering. How do I post the pics?

Tony

Staff member
If you click on teh link below, the very top video shows how to post pictures.

Did he happen to give you the old head? I highly suggest the 2 blade head. Be it the V2 head or the DFC head. It's much less stress on the system.

RC-Help.com - Rc-Help How-To

Tony

Staff member
I thought you had the Pro V2. That is the SE V2. I have that same helicopter sitting here that I really need to work on. And are you sure that's an Align, or is that the HK450GT?

taaron777

I'm not sure. I'm new, so I thought he was telling me the truth since it's a friend. He did not give me the original head. I will admit that I'm lost. That's why I joined the forum to educate myself.

Tony

Staff member
Hey, that's why we are here. Is there a serial number on the frame anywhere? Usually Align will etch numbers into the frame. No matter though, we can get that little sucker in the air. Let me do some checking on parts and I will post some links.

Tony

Staff member
Here is about the best way you are going to get all of the parts that you need. They are clone, yes, but they should work. And, you won't need that 6 axis gyro. All you need is a standard tail gyro.

HK450GT Kit USA Warehouse

If you want to try and just piece it together, I can come up with a list of Align parts for you, but I can assure you, it's going to be more than that kit.

murankar

Staff member
Yes get that thing back to stock as soon as you can. All that extra stuff is just going to confuse you in the end. There is way to much stuff to adjust and that can go wrong. When you crash and destroy a main blade or two you'll be buying 6 blades instead of just 2.

As for what to use the HK stuff will get you flying for the least amount of dollars. Align stuff will get you into advanced flight and will cost you more but you will have the assurance of high quality parts that are everywhere. Your last option is in the middle of those two, Tarot is better than HK and not as good as Align but will save you money over Align and be a little more than HK. Of course this is just another option.

As for the tail you will want to get that back to torque tube as soon as possible also. The last thing you need is a brushless motor going out mid flight. The motor will cost more than a gear set. The black Align gears have been one of the top upgrades for the older kits. If you don't feel comfortable with torque tube then go with a belt conversion kit. I think Tarot has one, the down side is that you will be replacing everything from the front boom block all the way back. This will also take the tail back to a 2 blade setup which is all that is needed.

If you happen to make the conversion back to the original sport v2 keep all the other for later in case you want to get into scale flying which is what that set up is really for.

just ask your questions so that you can get off on the right foot. We are here to get you going safely and as quickly as you feel comfortable with. Pics and video will help out immensely. Its easier to trouble shoot a video than text.

-------UPDATE---------

Tarot complete flybar head for the Sport V3: Tarot RC 450 Sport Complete Rotorhead

Tarot does have some of the stuff for the belt conversion, the problem is that you will have to piece it together. They also have most of the parts for the torque tube setup. When you are ready to convert the tail back to a direct drive setup let us know what route you want to go and we will help guide you in the right direction.

I will keep updating as i find stuff.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Actually the SE V2 is belt only. I don't think I have ever seen a TT SE V2. I was going to convert mine, but decided to just leave it belt and replace it with align everything.

murankar

Staff member
If it is an SE 2 then I found an FBL head for it from some where I forgot. I was doing some googling and found it but it was at $95 us dollars and come in blue. I still searching for a flybar option, unless he wants to go fbl upfront. The SE V2 head I found is a true Align DFC head.

Tony

Staff member
I think it's about $65 for the complete helicopter shipped. It's a clone, but it's a start. Either way, we will help.

taaron777

Thanks alot!! That info is priceless!! I do not see a serial # on the frame, so I'm assuming it's a clone anyway. I'm going hk and torque tube. I will keep you posted as parts come in. Glad I joined your forum!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I want to go flybarless

murankar

Staff member
Then add about another $10 USD for the the FBL Tarot kit. If you want a decent gyro that's painless for set up then the BeastX clones will work just fine unoess you can find a real beastx used. Nice thing is that you can use any receiver you want. The Walkera RX and gyro will work only issues I see is that the knowledge base on here maybe limited but we will learn with you on it.

Tony

Staff member
When you do, let us know what kit you are getting and we will get an Align parts list for you.

Top Bottom