Need some clarification...

daved20319

For the initial setup of Phoenix, the instructions say to start with a 90 degree swash and swash mixing OFF. Is this setup only needed for initial calibration of the TX with the sim, or are these permanent restrictions? My apologies if this is another dumb question, but I'm still struggling with my TX setup working properly in Phoenix.

IF mixing has to stay permanently off, how do you work around it? By design, a CP helicopter requires it, so it seems like this is something Phoenix should be able to handle. But as soon as I use a setup that has swash mixing, the heli ends up uncontrollable, channels seem to be all crossed up, throttle doesn't go to zero or 100%, and as soon as I try to take off, it just spins like a top, with anything less than full throttle resulting in an instant crash. I'm using a T9x radio with OpenTX firmware, and the setup I'm trying to use is the heli template built into the firmware. This is making me a little crazy, so any help would be much appreciated!

On a possibly related note, does the program expect a particular channel order, if so, what is it, and is there a generally accepted standard for CP helis? I had it in my head that it was RETA, but it's starting to look like that only applies to fixed wing or 4 ch. helis. Later.

Dave

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you must always use the 1 servo 90º swash on the sim. As for the rest of it, I have no clue. I don't use, have never used, and will never use anything turnigy to control my aircraft. So I have no idea what the program is like.

Stambo

For the initial setup of Phoenix, the instructions say to start with a 90 degree swash and swash mixing OFF. Is this setup only needed for initial calibration of the TX with the sim, or are these permanent restrictions?

As Tony said this is how Phoenix must be set up.
Phoenix does all its mixing internally for helicopters, all it needs to know is what you want it to do direction wise.
Any curves, DR, expo etc can be done either in phoenix, or in your tx AFTER CALIBRATING IN PHOENIX.
It still gives the same result flying wise re stick movements etc but it does not help you to learn the program in your tx.
The standard program is far easier to get a handle on but the opentx is much more configurable.

While I think I see what you are trying to achieve here, (learn about your tx while using the sim), I may be wrong but I don't think it is possible. You can tweak curves, DR, expo etc and setup your idle up but not much more.

Again I must stress here that tx should be calibrated in Phoenix with everything set at default.

I would suggest setting up another model and just playing with it.
Once you are a little more confident with the setup, make a new one for your heli and tweak it (MAIN BLADES OFF!!) until everything seems to work. Baby steps until you are sure it is right.

The other alternative is to download and install someone else's setup for the same helicopter, then look at it, copy it and play with the copy while you learn.

Good luck.

Top Bottom