New Guy From Maine

PAUL E FOX

Howdy. I'm 68 and retired, been around modeling in various forms since I was a pre-teen.

Other than a couple of cheesy $10 WalMart cars/trucks, never been around RC, so I'm pretty much in the "Don't even know what I don't know" arena.

I was an electronics tech in the Navy for 22 years and have also played around with Arduino stuff, so I'm reasonably competent with the technology, just not with RC specifically.

I recently got interested in "putt putt" or "pop pop" boats which use a small "boiler" powered by a candle or other small heat source to provide propulsion. It worked well enough to make me think that having an RC controlled rudder would make them quite a lot of fun. Sllooooowwww fun, but fun.

I'll check out the search function, but I'm likely to be asking some VERY basic questions if that's ok.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Paul, those little pop pop boats are pretty cool. I watched a video about them not to long ago as a matter of fact. A rudder would definitely make them a little more fun. As for asking questions, post up and ask away, that is what we are here for. Not going to find much about those boats on here though, I think you are the first one interested in that particular style of boat.

PAUL E FOX

Thanks for the welcome.

I've got the boat and pop=pop motor part figured out. I made a little one out of a sardine can and a soda can just because I couldn't believe something so simple could work.

It worked well enough that I'm building a bigger one modeled after a lobster boat (I am from Downeast Maine after all...) with a bigger "boiler" and a rudder. I just hope the weight of the receiver and battery pack don't prove to be too much for the motive power available.

I'd hate to have to buy a brushless motor and disappear down THAT rabbit hole. :biglaugh:

Tony

Staff member
You could always remove the case from the receiver and shrink wrap everything. That would save some weight. I'm thinking all of these electronics are going to be about 80 grams or so, maybe 100g. Not that heavy, but depending on the size of the boat...

Edit: Oh, and "that rabbit hole" is where most of us on here are located. Come join the party lol.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Paul. I would like to say welcome and thank you much for 22 yrs of service in the Navy :).

PAUL E FOX

Hey Paul. I would like to say welcome and thank you much for 22 yrs of service in the Navy :).

Thanks, and you're welcome. I had a LOT of fun, especially the first 10 or 12 years. After I got promoted out of the shop and behind a desk, not so much, but that pension check the first of every month makes up for that. :chuckles:

Top Bottom