New to site: Oxy 2 question

E Henry

Hello, my name is Ed. I live in Afton,Wyoming. I started flying helicopters about a year ago. Just planes before that. Learned on a blade 230, actually started with the mini s3 helicopter. I have a blade 230. And Oxy 2, OXY 4 And OMP evo 2. What brought me to the site is I have a question: on my oxy 2 it has the one way bearing installed. The other day after a flight my friend who is help me a lot with the helicopters asked me why, the tail rotor blade stopped turning while the main rotor was still turning. I told him I thought it was because of the one-way bearing, but he thought even with the one-way bearing it should still rotate the rear rotor. So here is what I have, if you turn the rotor clockwise it spins but gear and tail rotor don’t spin. Note the main gear and belt gear are not independent. if I turn the main gear, clockwise the main rotor and the tail rotor engage. Turning gear counterclockwise tail rotor turns but not main rotor. With the main gear and tail rotor pulley one unit I don’t see how you could have any other outcome. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m hoping I can learn a few things from you guys That have been doing this a lot longer than I have. any help on this subject is Greatly appreciated. BYW. Be kind, I’m older. (lived through the 60’s twice.)

RandyDSok

These are more observations or comments from seeing 2 videos ( watched 3 but the third ended up just being a flight vid )...

There apparently are more than one model of the OXY 2 ... the two I saw were the FE and SH, there could be more versions. The SH video was more of a product showcase type instead of a review type but when that guy spun the main rotor, the tail rotor also spun both ways. There was little technical discussion in that one. The FE video was more review like. The guy mentioned it didn't have a one way bearing and that it was belt driven. The mention of a one way bearing makes me thing there is a model that may have one... but I am not certain.

So the answer you are looking for may also depend on the specific model you have of the OXY 2.

E Henry

These are more observations or comments from seeing 2 videos ( watched 3 but the third ended up just being a flight vid )...

There apparently are more than one model of the OXY 2 ... the two I saw were the FE and SH, there could be more versions. The SH video was more of a product showcase type instead of a review type but when that guy spun the main rotor, the tail rotor also spun both ways. There was little technical discussion in that one. The FE video was more review like. The guy mentioned it didn't have a one way bearing and that it was belt driven. The mention of a one way bearing makes me thing there is a model that may have one... but I am not certain.

So the answer you are looking for may also depend on the specific model you have of the OXY 2.
Thanks for the reply. I think I’ve solved the issue. Because the two gears are joined together then there is no way to Tail rotor will spin when the main rotor is free spinning. I am not sure which model I have, but I added the one way bearing after I bought the helicopter from another person. All things and it doesn’t really matter to me as I don’t do any rotor landings anyway any other comments would be welcome though thank you.

Top Bottom