Cars New to t-maxx questions :)

WazabiQc

Hey guys, my ez-start wire just melted on the engine, does this happens often ? i ordered two from ebay, as my lhs isn't alway open ! and what should i do for engine overheating ? there was steam coming out when i noticed that. it's a week old and i got it tuned by the lhs tech... i guess he isn't that good for tuning eh. While we're at it, what do you guys suggest me to get as spare parts that i'll keep handy ? which little parts broke more often ?

EyeStation

it sounds like you got to lean with the fuel mixture. Keep it running rich for the first few tanks.
Remember the smoke you were looking for. Well now it should be there while you were running. If you don't see it, give it a richer mix.

Sparse

its sounds to me you should not let your lhs touch your max anymore for starters. if your getting smoke out of the head your way, way, way to lean. frist think of your high speed needle like a watch face and richen it up a good couple of hours, dont go cranking on it move the need in 1 hour increments 12 to 1. 1 to 2 so on and so forth. fill the max up start it. get a temp gauge if you dont have one. run the max till the tank is about half way empty half way full depending on you philosophical bend. LOL bring it in and temp it, if its under 200 lean it one hour remember face of the clock. if its over 200 richen it one hour. at 200 is about were you want to be. after you do this than you can richen your low speed needle. this needle is ONLY to be touched after the high speed is adjusted. run a hot lap bing in the max and pinch the fuel line count how many seconds it take for the engine to stall 1 1 thousnad 2 1 thousand. you should be able to get to 3 or 4 one thousand before it wants to shut off, the rpms will rev. before the cut off, if you get past the 4 1 thousand and the engine is still running lean the low 1/2 hour, I say 1/2 because the low speed needle is much more sensitive than the high. remember the face of a clock. if it shuts off before the 4 1 thousand than richen it 1/2. now all that is done you will set the idle. nitro is defiantly a learning process. but once you have it all adjusted and dialed in you will have a blast. I hope this helps, anymore issues just post and somebody will help Im sure.

- - - Updated - - -

only tune from a half tank. as the tank empty's the mixture gets leaner. fill the tank and run it half way out this lets you bring the engine up to temp. you cant tune on a full tank of gas. i will give poor results every time.

- - - Updated - - -

after every adjustment you doing wide open throttle. and temp adjust if needed and repeat. sorry its broken up I am trying to give you the best info its 11:30 and im beat. but you do it this way and you should be good. at the same time I hope up have not ran that engine after you seen the smoke that can cause real bad damage to the piston and sleeve.

WazabiQc

yup... they won't touch it anymore. it's sad that i can't even rely onto my LHS to help me starting ! but anyway i'll get a temp gun tomorrow and begin to test. i guess that my hsn was waay too lean, because it's so cold outside( below 0°C/32°F ), should help to cool the engine down but it overheated anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

no i didn't ran the truck after seeing the smoke ! i just set the screw back to factory setting and let it sit. came here immediatly to get help .

Sparse

if its cold you have to run rich. if its hot you can go lean, its nitro and thats the way it is.

- - - Updated - - -

and to be honest at 32 you really should not run at all. 50 or above your good. 32 is just to cold.

- - - Updated - - -

one more thing after you adjust your low and get it set. do another wide open pass. and check your temp cause you may have to richen your just a little. cause you are compensating the fuel mixture that your taking away from the over all flow going to the engine when you lean the low speed needle.

WazabiQc

well winter is coming and i'll probably use it in the snow in temp near 0°Fto 5°F, what could it do to run in such low temp. ?

Sparse

PITURES 278.JPG

this is my collection and were i got my experience, just to let you know what i am telling you is not B.S. traxxas nitro 4-tec, tmax 3.0, and losi 2.0 buggy.

- - - Updated - - -

run it if you want. its just gonna have to be rich, and as it get colder richer.

PITURES 278.JPG

WazabiQc

i'll see what i can do when it gets colder ! i'm planning on building a snow track in my backyard ! lots of space to do so.

Tony

Staff member
Ambiant temp's will not affect the engines as much as humidity does. When you get your temp gun (which is a must have), go for a reading of about 210ºF, that is where I run mine. That will make the engine last as long as possible. You can run 220, but it will shorten the life of the engine.

As for spare parts, you will want a set of A-Arms, the pins that go through the arms, spur gears, clutch bell, clutch, and so on.

WazabiQc

hey guys, is it possible that being too rich could cause overheat ? i tried richening it, went near 220°, gave it 1/8 of a turn and now it shows 250-270... maybe i don't take the temp at the right time ! should i bring it in the garage to avoid cold wind when i temp ? and how long should i run for the heat to stabilise between each adjustment ?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
No it will run cooler the richer you go. I useally run mine for a minute or so then bring it back to where I'm standing. Then take the reading. Point the gun streight down at the center if the head about 6 " or so away!

Tony

Staff member
As sam stated, the more fuel you put to it, the cooler it will run. Counter clockwise like you are unscrewing the needle will richen it up. And you should check the temp immediately after running it hard. Unlike what Sam stated though, you want to get your temp gun as close to the head as possible and check the temp on the glow plug. That is the hottest part of the engine. Move the temp gun around and get the highest reading you can get and go from there.

Tony

Staff member
You have to run it around. the engine needs a load on it for it to give you a true reading.

Sparse

listen take all the needles back to factory state, fire the max up and run it till half tank, 1/8 is to much REMEMBER THE FACE OF A CLOCK 1 TO 2 , 2 TO 3. so on and so forth. anyway after the tank is half empty, half full depending on your philosophical bend temp the engine. see what it is, its hot richen it its cool lean it run it again. temp it. at this point if your temps are as you described in the last post you made, Inconsistent you have an issue. And be rest assured it is due to the over heating issue you experienced earlier. depending on how hot the engine actually was temp wise it could have done internal damage. now when things like this happen it could be as complicated as being the internal bearing. ( they are known to fail after an engine over heats ) it could be the outer bearing on the crank case behind the fly wheel sucking air. ( air leak ) factory setting for the T- maxx are 4 and 1/2 on the high and 3 on the low. so before you test this make sure this is were your needle settings are at. You have to put the truck on the ground to run it. after each adjustment to the needles 30 sec must elapse for the adjustment to have an effect. To be honest the T- Maxx engine is not the best. they have a replacement plan give them the old the give you a new for like a 125 bucks or so but my point is what do you think they do with the old ones ? yep they get recycled. alot of people will put dynamite, or os engines in there max and leave the 3.3 2.5 what ever was in there truck alone. cause there a pain to deal with. and the bad thing is your over heating started after your visit to the hobby shop well they are not gonna take responsibility for it. depending on if the exhaust on your truck is plastic it could have melted a bit , if so replace it. this could be a cause of the problem also. if you melted you ez start wires you were hot. if the pipe was compromised it can cause issues. I wish I could see the truck In person to help you with it. but for now look it over a consider what i said as some trouble shooting for your max and a bit of a history lesson about the max it self. do the testing and post back. and let us know what happened. and we will go from there.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I always tune mine, and try to teach others by using the Hour method. Only turn the needle an hour at a time.

Top Bottom