New Tools & Gadgets Forum!

Tony

Staff member
Per the request of some members, I have added this forum for chat on all of the tools that we use in this hobby.

If we can think of enough sub forums, I will make this it's own category instead of having it in here with the vehicles. I just can't think of enough right off the top of my head to warrant doing so at this time.

So make this section as popular as the others!! POST UP!!!

cml001

I think that's just dangerous... I carry used/wore out lipos to my hobby store. They dispose of them for free.

Tony

Staff member
You are right, sticking a nail into a lipo to discharge it is very dangerous. Like you, I have LHS's around here that will take care of them if the time comes. However, if you have one that is just puffed, you can use a headlight out of a car to discharge it. It pulls 55 watts of power so it's a pretty light load. And it will eventually dead short the battery. I would still do this on a cinder block within the hole of another cinder block. If a fire does occur, it will be contained. You can even put another block on top to trap the fire depriving it of oxygen. But again, just take it to your LHS if they do disposal.

murankar

Staff member
Ill admit that that was a dangerous demonstration but very educational at the same time. Just proves salt water is not the way to go.

vimy

Asking if model shops (or clubs) take old or damaged LiPo's is something I haven't considered asking. Thanks, I will enquire. They will probably require a complete discharge though before they will accept them.

LiPo's bursting into flames is a worry around here where I live.

The summers are particularly hot (up to 46C daytime and 35C at night) and everything is very dry in Adelaide, with hot spells lasting up to 10 days at a time.

Bushfires need little encouragement to get started and LiPo's provide a perfect starter.

When I saw this device, it looked like the safest way of discharging a battery completely and being sure that it is.

sarconastic

Seeing that device brought up a question I had. Looking at the side of the unit it has the old connectors we used to use all the time for Our cars and trucks on the battery. Didn't know their name then, but they are called Power pole connectors. and these things are tough. Don't melt, and handle current really well up to about 50 amps I think. Plus they were able to be slid together for multi-pole configurations for multiple batteries etc.

Any reason why they aren't used much in the Airplane / heli world?

Woody

vimy

Seeing that device brought up a question I had. Looking at the side of the unit it has the old connectors we used to use all the time for Our cars and trucks on the battery. Didn't know their name then, but they are called Power pole connectors. and these things are tough. Don't melt, and handle current really well up to about 50 amps I think. Plus they were able to be slid together for multi-pole configurations for multiple batteries etc.

Any reason why they aren't used much in the Airplane / heli world?

Woody

Hello Woody,

Do you mean Anderson Power Products, more specifically the Power Pole series?:

Powerpole® Stackable Connector, Anderson Power Products

Excellent connectors. They are still around and I will be using them for fitting out a battery charger in a protective case.

Like you mentioned, brilliant for high current, high power applications all the way up to 350A.

I don't think they will be so good for aircraft though, there would be a weight penalty and the physical size of them makes it awkward in tight spaces.

Maybe someone had tried them.

sarconastic

Yup that is them. They do leave some room for error on the users part (reversing them) but I like them a lot. I still have a bunch in my case from the car days. I will have to weigh them in comparison to the ones I use now. If the weight is negligible I can see where on larger aircraft they would be good to use in higher current situations. not good for smaller ones for sure.

Woody

Top Bottom